Winter gloves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bianco

I've just bought some 661 Storm Watch Winter Glove from ChainreactionCycles.

Can anyone recommned what I should have bought, or give these gloves a thumbs up.

I was cycling to work this morning and my fingers were unbearably cold, that cold I couldn't think of anything else.

I hope these do the trick.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
My Aldi cycling gloves still just about do the job - it was -4°C today, and my fingers were a bit cold but not frozen. Is it possible for you to get any cheapo skiing gloves, as when it gets still colder I find these do the job if you get a size too large, and only cost the equivalent of about 4 quid. They are better than the Aldi stuff, as they cover my wrists and prevent cold air getting at my lower arms.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Cold fingers are sometimes just a symptom that you are not really warm enough in general. That is, if you are loosing too much heat elsewhere, it will be signalled by blood being shut down to your toes and fingers first. Try a hat and maybe even another base layer.

Next check you have enough layers on your arms and your outer layer is completely windproof.

Then check your gloves. Once it's around freezing or below, your gloves must again be completely windproof. There are lots sold (including expensive ones) which don't stop the wind at all. Stretch a bit of the material across your mouth and if you can 'blow' through the material, they will never work. They are more suited to days when it's around 10 degrees or so.

If they are windproof, check they are big enough for you. You should be able to get a thin pair of gloves on under them. But don't do this! - just use it as a measure of how loose they need to be so as not to constrict your blood supply when gripping the handle bars.

After all this and you still have problems, then you need to step up a gear on the glove front and try lobster claw or true mitts which both are warmer than gloves and ultimately try slipping heat packs into the gloves across the back of the hand. But these are pretty extreme measures and aren't normally necessary till it gets a lot colder.

Tynan

Veteran
be far dom, not everyone rides in balmy London

still using my first ever proper cycling gloves, snaffled from a bargain bin in Clapham fifteen years ago for £5, suede plams, some sort of windstopping fabric on the back, padded knuckles, brill

sadly starting to wear through on the fingers

OP
OP
B

bianco

Hi Guys,

As an update, those gloves suck big time. My fingers were frozen, absolutely frozen, and they sized too small.

Anyway I went to my LBS and bought a pair of sealskins technical gloves and they appear to be a lot warmer.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Specialized Sub-Zero gloves are my new purchase this year, and super warm they are! Almost too warm today, I was sweating a bit much on the way home from work this evening.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I've got a pair of £2.50 Campri 'Ski gloves' from Chav-sports (JJB/Sports world etc) and they're absolutely toasty as hell! Bargain.

Bigtallfatbloke

I wear some decathlon silk inner gloves under my aldi gloves....the tips of my fingers still go numb but the hand is ok...I think the trick is to get a size bigger than your usual (if possible which for me it is not), that way you have a bigger air cavity between fingers and glove

Noodley

As I know where noggin lives, I'd be inclined to listen to him. It does tend to get a bit cold where he comes from (although not quite as cold as me, 'cos I'm real hard I am :ohmy::angry: and I wear Endura Tundra)

domtyler

Über Member
magnatom said:
Just noticed this. My lawyers will be in touch! :becool:

You took your time!! :biggrin::biggrin:

I have just bought a new pair of Gore gloves, windstopper fabric and quite fleecy inside. Have only used them on the commute so far but seem pretty good.

Top Bottom