winter jacket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lip03

Über Member
hey everyone, getting fed up of zips breaking and sweating like a pig in cheap (sports direct/decathlon) winter cycling jackets looking for something waterproof and breathable but I cant afford a aultera night vision evo just now so wondered if anyone has a decent (CHEAPER) alternative?

thanks in advance :smile:

NorvernRob

It's worth looking in TK Maxx if there's one near you. I've picked up cheap base layers (inc merino) and a softshell waterproof, breathable, micro fleece lined jacket for the grand sum of £18. And it kept me warm in 3c temperatures for 6 hours.

Their stuff changes all the time and is different in every store so it's worth keeping popping in if you're close by.

jay clock

Massive member
Getting WaterproofPLUScheapPLUSbreathable? Let me know when you find it? I have a decathlon windproof one which copes with light rain, and ana Endura Helium for real rain. My suggestion is save up for something which does the job properly

OP
OP
lip03

lip03

Über Member
Getting WaterproofPLUScheapPLUSbreathable? Let me know when you find it? I have a decathlon windproof one which copes with light rain, and ana Endura Helium for real rain. My suggestion is save up for something which does the job properly
i know its a big ask I'm now looking at something that's not cycling specific my commute is only 4 miles so going to try something a little different

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I posted on another similar thread about a £35 jacket and have been quite happy with it so far...

"I got the Mountain Warehouse jacket linked about a week ago last Saturday from their shop at Thornbury. I'm 5`11", 40-42" chest and weigh about 13.5 stone and the medium is a good fit with plenty of arm length. The cut is biased towards cycling.
I wanted a waterproof jacket to wear each day so that I wouldn't get caught out by the unpredictable showers at this time of year.
I've been wearing it every day on the commute, rain or not, all of last week. I also wore it out on a family bike ride on Saturday that ended up in high winds and a horrid rain & hailstorm with us all sheltering in the lee of a hedge !
It is completely waterproof, thankfully.
It has kept me perfectly dry in a heavy downpour and the adjustable neck does up nice & snug, so rain can't get down it. The adjustable hem drops down well at the back too. There is a fairly big rear pocket and a smaller chest pocket which takes my phone in its waterproof case. The zips are waterproof and don't let a draught in. There is plenty of reflective piping on the back. I was utterly unbothered by very heavy rain.
It's not especially warm so good attention to layering is required - underneath, I have been wearing a thin Tenn polyester jacket over an Aldi winter cycling jersey. This in temperatures of 4-10 degrees and I have been comfortably warm.
It's moderately breathable - I've not worn Gore Tex but I have worn non-breathable "boil in the bag", and I find that this is fine, less sweaty for my 10 mile/15mph commute. There are zippable side-vents which I have been leaving open. If I think it's getting too hot, I open the zip a few inches and it doesn't fill up with air.
It scores well over the previous thin waterproof jacket I was using, as it won't balloon out like a parachute when riding along. The old jacket used to let the wind in through the zip and the neck.
I think it's good value for £35.00 and certainly suits my purposes."

HTH

Top Bottom