Winter months

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
It's easy, and quite refreshing while the weathers still ok Terry...but the motivation is harder to find as it gets really cold, but then, i hate the cold with a vengeance. But get out there i still do, albeit not as much as in the summer.
Night/evening riding definately brings another enjoyable dimension to cycling.

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
I quite enjoy night rides there's usually less cars and those that are there give me more respect. Country lanes with opposing car headlights can be a slight problem but its not too bad.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Love it! Nearly all my winter riding is done in the dark, mostly Urban, with occasional forays out into the wild open spaces. There's something magical about night riding.

back in March I did my first all-nighter with some of the yacf crew, departed Oxford at Midnight and ended at paddington station at 7-ish in the morning. Superb being in the middle of nowhere with a small group of cyclists in the pitch-black... was chuffin' cold though and very good lighting required!
I agree with gbb, motivation is hard in the cold, but get a few riding buddies and it gets easier.
Go fort it!

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Try to get in a 15 mile circuit of my town on an evening when I can, seems to be less a*** h**** about at this time of year, god bless my AY UP's

HelenD123

Legendary Member
We organised a couple of night rides last winter with the CC East Yorkshire posse. Maybe it's time to get a few in the calendar for this year.

OP
OP
captainhastings
well just had a quick 3 mile spin round my local village/town only saw about 4 cars and it gave me a nice chance to test what gears were needed for various junctions and hills so I know the score when it is busy so all good ;)

on the road

Über Member
I'm not really a night rider, but on the rare occasions that I have been out at night I've found it to be (surprisingly) safer then it is during the day. Most of the boy racers are tucked up in bed ;)

dodgy

In the winter I try to get out during lunchtimes and on Saturday and Sunday. I don't ride in the dark, ever. I will happily go out for a run in the dark though.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Cycling through a thick blanket of fresh snow at night is great too. Especially on a quiet rural lane with a nice big moon overhead. Even better if there's a roaring log fire and a glass of something strong at the end of it! (usually in my case down The Bull in Walsingham).

MarkF

Guru
Cold is ok but cold and wet, no way! I stick to short trips and motivate myself to do some winter riding by getting the panniers out for the food shopping.

Browser

Guru
Since my commute takes place either 06.30-08.30 and 18.30-21.00 year-round, I do a lot of riding in the dark. And a lot of that is on unlit rural roads, populated by the odd tractor, lorry or nutter in a car, sincefor some reason 10 foot-deep ditches alongside roads encourage people to drive faster not slower?
And yes, it is very peaceful, with a better-than-average chance of spotting barn owls, voles, foxes etc.

the_bing

Über Member
i've never been out for a 'proper' night ride (bar riding back from the pub) but this thread has got me thinking about it. i'm all for early rides on weekends due the distinct lack of OTHER PEOPLE, in the winter it's particularly good on frosty mornings (i'm a masochist, ok?).

lighting is a bit of an issue, or my lack of it. i've got the standard red LED light on the back of my bike but no fronts (don't worry, i don't ride in the dark now). might have to look into it...

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
terryd said:
Over the winter months who goes for a quick blast in the dark with lights of course. Nice evening toying with the idea now

Yeap. Pretty much every night.

the_bing

Über Member
does anyone have recommendations for good front lights? i.e. ones that i can actually see with, not just be seen by other raod users? theres another thread going on in this forum about cateye uno's, someone mentioned buying 2 of them and aiming them differently on the bars, for maximum light spread. seems a cheaper option than the £200 twin headlight kits out there (i'm poor)...

Top Bottom