Winter Projects - Another two Rudge racers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

porteous

Veteran
Well after all the hammering in the shed I have two more Rudges done. One is a bike I was working on at the end of last year, a Phase III Pathfinder with a cyclo benelux 8 speed set up, which works and rides really nicely, initial hiccups being cured by a NOS chain.

The other is a re-creation of my first "grown up" bike, nicked whan I was 21. The colour scheme looks a bit garish now, but when I was 16 I thought it was the dog's bo**ocks. Got the wheels 4 years ago, the frame at the end of last year after 5 or 6 years looking for one from the right year (1956 or 57).

I always planned to upgrade this bike as funds allowed, so it has a 70s alloy stem and bars and a modern alloy single speed 48T chain set running the SA 4 speed hub, in place of the Williams C34 steel one. Most of the other parts are contemporary NOS.

Paint by Argos in Bristol is just beautiful and it all works just as I remember! I make no apologies for some modern (ish) bits. If it was good enough for Sheldon B then its good enough for me!

winter 11 & pathfinders 002.JPG 1966 0r 67 Rudge Pathfinder Phase III. Original frame, paint and decals

winter 11 & pathfinders 008.JPG 1956 or 1957 Rudge Pathfinder (Lenton frame). A recreation of my childhood bike! A bit garish, but I was only 16 when I put the red mudguards on. The original was stolen in Cambridge when I was 21.

winter 11 & pathfinders 009.JPG

winter 11 & pathfinders 012.JPG

winter 11 & pathfinders 011.JPG

winter 11 & pathfinders 013.JPG NOS Bluemels mudguards and saddle bag support. Carradice Barley made by Sue. Thank You Sue!

The saddle is an original Brookes B15

THE Pathfinder 001.JPG The 1956/7 Pathfinder as found

Or see http://www.flickr.co...s/31231726@N03/ for more

Goldie

Über Member
Bloody hell! They're amazing. Both an absolute credit to you. Stick up some more photos - they're worth it!

There's a very fine painted advert on the end wall of a building near me for Rudge, proclaiming them to be "Britain's Best Bicycle", but I think I've ever seen on in the flesh. What happened to the firm?

OP
OP
porteous

porteous

Veteran
Bloody hell! They're amazing. Both an absolute credit to you. Stick up some more photos - they're worth it!

There's a very fine painted advert on the end wall of a building near me for Rudge, proclaiming them to be "Britain's Best Bicycle", but I think I've ever seen on in the flesh. What happened to the firm?
[/quote]

The short version is, that like Humber and Carlton, they were swallowed by Raleigh, which then went bust. But, Yes, for a time between the 30s and the 60s Raleigh group probably did make some of the best mass produced low cost bicycles in the world. I happen to enjoy the Rudges because my first "proper" bike was a brand new Rudge Pathfinder my dad bought me for passing the 11+.

Here is another Rudge/Raleigh, a 1948 Clubman I restored a couple of years back

My link

OP
OP
porteous

porteous

Veteran
Ah! The red hand of Hugh O'Neal, I wonder where Rudge got the idea from? The Rudges were a prolific West Midlands manufacturing family, fishing rods and saddlery also made by Rudges, but not sure if they are related. Is there an Ulser background to the family I wonder?

tyred

Legendary Member
The Rudge family originated from Belfast. There was an article on the web about it somewhere but I can't seem to find it at the moment.

Hi Where did you get the decals from and what colour code did you use for the paintwork?
I am currently restoring a 1956 model and i believe the colour should be Electric blue

wisdom

Guru
Just been on the flickr link Craig
Well theres some bl**dy good stuff on there you are a man after my own heart.Just not got the space or money.The bikes are excellent and a credit to you

Top Bottom