Winter Road Gloves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

uclown2002

Guru
Can someone recommend a good all-round pair of gloves for winter?

I do a lot of miles so don't mind paying for quality.

I'm assuming you can get waterproof/windproof/ thermal gloves that are suited to all types of winter weather.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

PpPete

Legendary Member
Whatever you do - avoid SealSkinz.
Heavily hyped bt neither waterproof nor robust.

wanda2010

Guru
"The best thing is a pair of Buffalo mittens, which get wet but stay warm even in gale force winds and snow. Sealskinz mittens if available might be good, I doubt it though.
Ex-army gloves from Afghanistan are the very best gloves money can buy, get a pair slightly too big, they stay warm even when they are so wet you can wring the wayer out of them, which is what I discovered on Saturday morning. Ebay is the place, about a tenner the price."

As lifted from a post by mmmmmmartin in the 'informal rides' thread

Those do look very good indeed. Not sure how to work out sizing though.

I got my LBS to order in a few pairs, and then tried them on. The rest went into stock.

Norm

I've got Altura Night Vision Evos and Goretex Bikewear and I'd recommend either.

Remember that waterproof is difficult, and requires being able to block the large hole that every glove needs to put your hand into. Being wet and warm can be ok, though, so something based on wet-suit type principles can be as good as anything.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I have the Altura night vision winter gloves and they have been very good. Not too warm - the Aldi winter gloves are warmer - but they are not as bulky, are windproof and take a long time before any wet gets in. I used them for snowball fights last winter too.

Top Bottom