Winter shoes/boots Vs overshoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big John

Guru
Winter boots every time! Had overshoes for years and still the feet got cold. Boots did the trick and if it's proper cold I put the overshoes over the boots 👍

rivers

How far can I go?
I have very small feet so never been able to source a pair small enough
Shimano do smaller sizes in their line of winter boots.

Julia9054

Guru
Shimano do smaller sizes in their line of winter boots.
I have Shimano winter boots but it is certainly true that your choice is massively reduced if your feet are smaller than standard men's sizes.
I hate overshoes. Nothing worse than trying to get a wet, muddy close fitting pair off at the end of a ride when your fingers are freezing. Torture!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I got winter boots in 2003 and was trying to justify the cost. I haven’t looked back and am only on my second pair 17 years later . They just work and go on and on. If you are commuting through the winter a definite yes.

Adam4868

Guru
Why not both ? I have a pair of winter boots but if it's not cold and just wet I'd stick a pair of overshoes on my shoes instead.Winterboots haven't been out this year thankfully.But they are a luxury when needed.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Overshoes for me wide feet means it hard to find shoes that fit and I have bought and sold numerous boots even after I have sized up
ATM using toe covers as I can bring them in the back pocket,when Im commuting I always carry thin Rain proof overshoes in the planners all year around

Mike_P

Guru
How much do the Shimano boots open up for putting on, getting off. I have a high instep (think that's what it's called) and find many boots impossible to get on.

Why not both ? I have a pair of winter boots but if it's not cold and just wet I'd stick a pair of overshoes on my shoes instead.Winterboots haven't been out this year thankfully.But they are a luxury when needed.
I still have many overshoes from back before I bought boots (and I do sometimes carry them e.g. on long spring Audaxes, where a huge temperature variation is possible during the trip). But really I can wear boots for several whole months of the year without discomfort, and they are always less faff than shoes+overshoes; so now I have the boots, I rarely use overshoes.

Y*MMV!

*You, the Forumista

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I wanted winter boots for years but baulked at the cost. BIG mistake. I got some for last winter and love them. Dry and warm.

I realise these are called shoes by the manufacturer. Fizik are the only brand I've found which are good for my wide feet. I did need to stretch them a little with shoe horns to increase the comfort. I keep them stuffed with newspaper through summer to prevent them shrinking back.

https://www.merlincycles.com/fizik-x5-artica-mountain-bike-shoes-108598.html

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I got winter boots in 2003 and was trying to justify the cost. I haven’t looked back and am only on my second pair 17 years later . They just work and go on and on. If you are commuting through the winter a definite yes.

I'm another that wished I'd bought them years ago. Had mine about 4 years now. TBH they are used throughout the year - 2 of those 4 years I used them during summer off road due to the mud - this year has been fairly dry.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Still think water would run down your leg into these boots ? Over shoes work for me, managed two winters out of last lot. They were only £20.

Top Bottom