Winter shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Y

yellow v2

I am using spd's at the moment although I,ve just ordered spd sl's, however the problems with mine ( Endura ) have been the zip and a tear in the heal. So not really relevent to pedal type. I was thinking about a pair of Diadora chilli extreme my lbs have them for £ 49.99 at the moment.

monnet

Guru
I use PRO Endure NPU, they do me just fine and only £20, although I think the BBB Hardwear NPU overshoes are probably the better value for the same price (I ride Look Delta pedals).

Before shelling out loads of cash it's worth thinking about how you use your overshoes. If you're out riding long distances for pleasure, then spend away but if you're commuting or similar where your tied up in traffic I work on the basis that with uncleating, putting on and taking off twice a day, plus weekend rides etc. they'll only last a winter anyway. The battering they get also means that even if they are in one piece come next December, the warmth and waterproof properties will probably have diminished substantially.

OP
OP
Y

yellow v2

I think that from comments so far that although overshoes are OK for a limited time, for a longer term solution dedicated winter shoes are best.
If you weigh up the cost overshoes @ circa £20 a time/year , plus the aggro of putting them on/off even more in favour of winter shoes!

slow Al

I purchase a pair of Northwave Fahrenheit GTX Gortex winter boots on e-bay. These boots are great,completely water proof and very toastie warm on a cold winter day. IMHO much better than overshoes.

giant man

yellow v2 said:
I am using spd's at the moment although I,ve just ordered spd sl's, however the problems with mine ( Endura ) have been the zip and a tear in the heal. So not really relevent to pedal type. I was thinking about a pair of Diadora chilli extreme my lbs have them for £ 49.99 at the moment.
yes brilliant! Go for it, provided you can get your size! Go for one or two sizes too big and wear winter socks, creating warm air space and bingo! Toasty warm feet

http://everndencycles.co.uk/product...A_Chili_Extreme_Road_ACCESSORIES_Shoes_-_Road

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I just got a pair of Lake MXZ302. Waterproofing is leather & dubbin rather than *tex. Get a size large, or two sizes large for thick socks.

Nice & toasty yesterday. Time will tell.

OP
OP
Y

yellow v2

Thanks Giantman Evernden cycles is where I was referring to and they did have my size, bought them on saturday!

Monty Dog

Belt and braces for me when it's really cold and wet - Overshoes over winter boots as the overshoes keep the muck and water off. Some boots are too low round the ankle meaning the water runs down into the top. Also got a pair of Gaerne winter road boots which have an integral overshoe - toasty too. Whatever winter boots you choose, get a size bigger for thick socks. Overshoes are useless for walking around - cuts them to shreds.

Top Bottom