Winter Solstice Ride 2020

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Gents Toilet Cafe
I love the quaint names Oop North.

figbat

Slippery scientist
The internet puts the time as about 3 hours earlier (for London - glasgow and cardiff gave the same time for this website):

www.timeanddate.com › sun › london
December Solstice (Winter Solstice) is on Monday, December 21, 2020 at 10:02 am in London.

Where is your data from Mr Surfer?
Wikipedia largely agrees - 10:03 UTC; it is absolute - your whereabouts makes no difference other than what time zone you are in.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Hopefully. It's quite an outdoorsy kind of place, what with the various cycleways, MTB routes and long distance walking trails. I know a Reepham cafe closed but now new people have taken it on and a new café has opened in Great Massingham recently despite operating takeaway-only for now, plus there's a couple of takeaway vans with new stops, such as the excellent Doubtfire Waffles (Lynn Tue, Downham Fri&Sat and soon Ely Thu&Sun). I expect some places will never reopen but we'll only find that out when we're back in Tier 1. For now, what's still open really appreciates cyclists' custom.
Norfolk appears to have had a massive infection rate spike so may be heading for Tier 3 along with the rest f the country in January after the Christmas free for all.

Having said that I'll be out for a decent ride on the 21st into the wilds of Northumberland!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
The graph on https://www.norfolkinsight.org.uk/coronavirus/norfolk-covid-19-report/ disagrees about the spike but you may be correct about the rest. Doesn't really change what I wrote AFAICS.
Forgive me mjr... I relied on the BBC*. Your local information looks comprehensive... rural Northumberland is much lower than many Tier 2s but I expect it's hospital capacity that's governing most Tier 3 settings in anticipation of the post Christmas spike.

*Stupid of me, I can only apologise! :sad:

Tom B

Guru
Winter solstice 2020 in Northern Hemisphere will be at 13:30 on
Monday 21 December

I'm planning a dawn to dusk ride on this the shortest day of the year on the plain north and east of Doncaster ..... anyone else have any plans..

anyone else read that as "anyone else have any plains?"

Its still a bit early for Christmas shopping so I might take the little lad out for a ride, doubt it'll be a dawn til dusk but weather permitting it'll be a good ride.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom