Winter/Studded tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albion

Guru
Have you got a link to what you bought? You are not describing the Marathon 365.

Did you not read the thread saga? Ribble miss-sold. They then sent two email corrections post delivery and even then they still had it wrong.
Like I said, there is not the thick belt. Strangely, the current 365 is now Greenguard a third variation. These are "Performance Line, Raceguard".
About 568 grams with wires. It was less hassle to keep them so I will dig out my Aramid strips for when I come to use them.

Last edited:

iandg

Legendary Member
Got Schwalbe Marathon Winter 35c on my e-bike. It was -6C when I headed out to Dumfries this morning

IMG_20231201_153201_529.jpg

albion

Guru
I just double checked I got 4 of the same 365. And seems my Winters are actually 35mm as in the pic above, looking unsused apart from a hint of stud discolouration, The 365 are like putty in comparison to the hard as rock studded kevlar guard winters. The weak 365 remind me of my Smart Sams, though the tread pattern is near identical to the soft 365 I got sent.

I doubt protection is even 4. As to my Winters, they are 'Activeline'.

Apologies op, the Winters are now going on my twin ebike. Obviously wear will not matter in that they will hardly see any further use.

Last edited:

albion

Guru
Eh, the tyres alone are rated 7 on their puncture scale. As good as it gets. You don’t need extra puncture protection strips.

You claim 7 when in fact there are 3 different protection types for the 365. I think I read that my actual type rate as level 4 on the Schwalbe table.
From feel, 4 is pushing it.

albion

Guru
Pillock. They are obviously the current version.
This is the version Ribble 'claim' they sold.
https://www.schwalbe.com/en/newsreader/schwalbe-marathon-gt-365-the-all-year-marathon

Here is the Ribble site with their misleading erronous description. Only the link title itself is near correct. 'Performance line, Raceguard'.
https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/p/SCOETYRR100000000000/gt-365-performance-lone-race-guard/

Literacy I will settle for this frustrating conversation. Far more worthy than politics though..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sunny Portrush
Well, this thread took a different turn!

I'm still trying to weigh up whether it's worth the expense or not. As someone else said further up the thread, the amount of time you need them isn't great, all the ice has gone round here lol

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman

albion

Guru
This is a fish pun, right? (I've not heard of this one, but every day's a school day ... )

Old English it seems.
In the 16th century, the meaning was "penis"
And 'Pillock. Another synonym for idiot. Derived from a Norwegian slang word for penis, this one seems to work particularly well when someone has made a specific error in judgment.'

Well, this thread took a different turn!

I'm still trying to weigh up whether it's worth the expense or not. As someone else said further up the thread, the amount of time you need them isn't great, all the ice has gone round here lol

It's a very tricky judgement. But I would say to anyone that hasn't fallen off on ice; just after you hit, your views on tyre-choice will shift quite significantly!

Top Bottom