Winter Tights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrynCP

Über Member
I bought some DHB waist tights, went for an XL of http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-vaeon-reflex-roubaix-unpadded-waist-tight/ based on waist size, but then realised on delivery they're far too tight. I should have checked height as the XL are for 38"/6'. I am 36-38"/6.3".

I also have a pair from aldi, and while they're not so tight in the legs, the padding is next to useless as that area is far too loose.

Just how tight should tights be?

Also can anybody recommend a pair or brand that would fit my height/waist well. My legs are not particularly big, but still carrying a bit of fat. I was preferring unpadded, waist tights (as opposed to bib) as I intend to wear my normal shorts underneath.

vickster

Legendary Member
Tight

The unpadded ones are more like joggers though - my Altura winter ones certainly are, comfy though (and when I had my accident I could get them off before the hospital took the scissors to them, the fate suffered by my favourite Gore padded ones which they wouldn't allow me to take off and I can't replace :sad: ).

Look for running tights if you want tight, not unpadded cycling longs

zacklaws

Guru
I like the Lusso Max Repel Bib Tights and I also have them in the waist tight version too which I rarely wear. Out of the two, I prefer the bib tights, as they are more comfortable and help flatten your "podge" a bit or more correctly, streamline the figure for speed, the waist type always seems to roll down over your "podge" and does not feel right. Also when I wear tights, its usually the colder months and the bib tights give you another layer on top to keep warm, plus you can tuck things like gels into them to keep warm whilst riding and makes them more runnier for swallowing. The only advantage I see with waist tights, nature breaks are easier.

I'm 6' 1inch 40 waist and wear the XL. Both versions are unpadded. I also wear my padded shorts underneath, as opposed to a lot of riders I see who wear their shorts on top for some unknown reason, to me if the shorts are slightly loose, they look like they have Mickey Mouse's legs.

Recently on a 240 mile ride, I remembered that I had not put my padded shorts on under my Lusso bib tights, but this was after an 8 mile slog uphill, I looked back and thought bugger going downhill again to climb it again, so I carried on wondering about the consequencies, For the whole 240 miles, I never had a twinge, it was one of comfortabilist rides I have ever had for ages. Makes me think that good shorts can be worse than no shorts

bpsmith

Veteran
I have the Castelli Sorpasso Bib Tights. Got them earlier in the year for £84. They are a lot more at full price. Definitely worth the spend!

They are so much better than anything else I have.

Top Bottom