Winter tires

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tsddave

Ok so winter is fast coming and Im wondering what to do about my tires.
Right now I have regular continental ultra race tires on my Cannondale caad 8. I have a mountain bike but really prefer riding my cannondale!
I live in Norway and it gets pretty cold here but luckerly im living in a part where snow doesnt usually last for long.
This will be my 1st winter as a regular cyclist and would love to stay on my race bike but feel some new tires would be safer.
I did some searching online and found the Ritchey Road Racing Tyre 700x23 was suggested for winter training.
Anyone have any thoughts on this or advice?

My thanks in advance :smile:

You live in Bergen and are asking on a UK forum about winter tyres? :wacko:
Try Biltema. Apparently there are 2 in your vicinity. Though you may find winter tyres may be too large a volume for your frame, but at least you can go and have a look at them and get an idea if they will fit. Similar ones here usually mean mail order.
How about putting some spiked tyres on the mtb and go have some fun on that when its not looking good for the CAAD?

diapason

I've just put a pair of Continental Top Contact Winters on my touring bike - 700x35. Yet to try them in anger. There are several studded tyres available including Schwalbe Marathon Winters, Nokian Hakkapellitas and a Conti studded. They do need much more clearance, so depends on what your frame will take.

OP
OP
tsddave

tsddave

Piemaster
Erm yes I am! There are more than just brits living in England here and I am sure those who do live still in the UK have some experience of the sort of weather Im expecting here this winter, like I said this is not much of a snow region where I am.
I guess there will be times here when I will need to get back on the mountain bike but like I say I would still like to use my caad when I can.

Diapason
Thanks for your suggestions. I will look into those you mention :smile:

I worked in Tananger for a year - not really much snow there either. Riding on a frozen solid beach on Christmas day was an experience though, after swimming off it a few months earlier. Sliding down a hill on an icy road with brakes fully locked towards a barrier thinking 'this is going to hurt' wasn't nice (I did just managed to stop though). I can appreciate you wanting advice on tyres

I suggested Biltema as there was one nearby to Tananger and pricing seemed ok, plus actually getting winter tyres across there seemed to be a lot easier than in the UK.

I've just bought some Schwalbe marathon winters, had to take mudguards off the rear for clearance though as they are quite high volume. Had the same tyres on the mtb last winter and were excellent on compacted snow and ice. I actually got off the bike after riding it then slipped and fell over it was that slippery.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
The cheap and cheerful option is Continental CityRide's I have had them on for 1 1/2 years now and they havent worn down at all. They are puncture protected, have smooth rubber in the center of the tyre, and have cyclocross tread and grip on the outer edges for cornering fast. They have so much grip!

Jmetz

That was my first thought; then I guessed tires may be due to our american friends, depending on which version of English is commonly taught in Norway.

Blue

Legendary Member
I use Continental 4 seasons on my winter bike, but I don't cycle at all on snow/ice - those days are for turbo training!

I may be a wimp but, hey, I don't get injured falling off bikes!!

Top Bottom