Winter Training - 1958 style

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
a Raleigh [model.?] but weighed a ton.!
we used our road wheels and carried our tubs to the event on brackets attached to the front axle
01Johnage17_zpsbdf8d781.jpg
no fancy day-glow licra gear here.......:biggrin:
toe-clips with steel plates under shoes
track suit - standard black, with de-rigueur bobble hat
rear battery lamp with red glass
kit roll and canvas 'bonk' bag

a simpler life by far
john

jay clock

Massive member
ahead of his time hipster.... fixie, one brake..all that retro kit

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I converted my first grown up bike - a Raleigh Trent - to fixed, dropped bars, single brake. Same sort of period, early 60s-ish - remember those patterned long socks we wore too? Not ahead of our time jc - everyone rode fixed in winter. I remember carrying wheels on those brackets too , strapped to the bars to to hold them steady. Sadly no photos of my bikes from that period.

ayceejay

Guru
I used to have one of those 'rubberized cotton reel' jobbies attached to the 'bars opposite the brake so that I could ride on the hoods.
It is a while since I've seen a frame that could accommodate a pump like that and with no bottle cage.

OP
OP
J

John the Canuck

................................It is a while since I've seen a frame that could accommodate a pump like that and with no bottle cage.

hi - if you look by my left wrist - a pump bracket welded to the frame maybe.? - and it does indeed have a water bottle - hence the pump 'behind' the down tube

ah.! those were the days - !!

BTW ...YOBloke - I'd forgotten about the handlebar straps....:rolleyes:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
That bob hat looks like it's going to come off if you get some speed up John!:thumbsup: May i ask how old you are?:smile:

OP
OP
J

John the Canuck

That bob hat looks like it's going to come off if you get some speed up John!:thumbsup: May i ask how old you are?:smile:

born during the London Blitz...............:whistle:
actually in Wales, as all London hospitals were reserved for the nightly toll of Blitz casualties
''Between 7 September 1940 and 21 May 1941 there were major aerial raids (attacks in which more than 100 tonnes of high explosives were dropped) on 16 British cities. Over a period of 267 days (almost 37 weeks), London was attacked 71 times''
and
''Starting on 7 September 1940, London was bombed by the Luftwaffe for 57 consecutive nights.[7] More than one million London houses were destroyed or damaged, and more than 40,000 civilians were killed, almost half of them in London''

Dads Squadron was based at Biggin Hill - he could get a 2day pass to visit London but not Wales
so within 3 months Mother returned to London [with me] during the Blitz to see him..............crazy times.!

and a history lesson for all you 'youngsters' .........:smile:

john

quotes 'thanks' to Wiki

Last edited:
Love the pictures! After reading this thread, I just said to my wife..."I've been cycling for years and I don't have one picture of me on a bike!"
Going to rectify that this weekend!

Top Bottom