Winter trip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sleekitcollie

Myself & 2 friends are off in a cpl weeks on a long weekend cycle / camping trip to islay & Jura . Not going to be doing big miles as it's bit early in the year & still getting dark early .
I've been looking out gear / clothes etc to take on trip and it's looking like I have enough stuff for a 2 week tour .any advice on what not to take ( or what is essential on a short winter trip )
We r planing to wild camp as much as possible

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
You shouldn't need anti-midge stuff :tongue:

Some clothes pegs, so you can wash/quick-dry your kit on the guy-ropes of the tent? These things can get whiffy very quickly, due to the materials ...:blush: (Unless you have merino thermals, in which case you will smell sweetly throughout your tour without doing laundry)

A good book ...

And last but not least ... a notebook computer & camera so you can post photos and reports to the new "Riders' tales" section of the forum :tongue:

T

I was up on Islay at new year and it was surprisingly mild. It's a great place to cycle. The campsite at port charlotte is closed at this time of year but you should be able to wildcamp on some of the northern beaches at the end of Loch Gruinart, or Saligo bay, or more forested areas on the Rinns. On Jura the Jura hotel let you camp for free in their gardens which are across the road from the hotel in Craighouse. There's quite a bit of shelter, and because you're going in Feb it's not midge hell, which it is in summer.

OP
OP
sleekitcollie

sleekitcollie

Telemark , thanx , ive never smelt sweetly b4 and i dont intend to start now :whistle: :rolleyes:
i will be taking my i phone so hopefully ill be able to post from there

Kirstie yes the plan it to camp at Craighouse and Port Charlotte , at PC we will be camping at the community center /campsite which is open all year . hopefully the weather wont be 2 bad :wacko: but as u say i wont need my avon skin so soft for the midgies ;)

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
You'll not be taking the 'fall-off-round-the-corner' bike, then ??
wink.gif

It sounds like a mad great idea and I would think layers of warm clothing, waterproof trousers/RainLegs, waterproof overshoes, a second pair of gloves (for when the first get wet
rain.gif
), sunglasses/ cream :biggrin:, a good sense of humour and you should be set for a fun week-end.

I have not done any cycle touring but most advice seems to be to lay out all your kit, then go through it item by item and eliminate anything not essential. Do you really need your pj's/teddy or would your base-layer be OK for sleeping ? Shaving ? Is deodorant essential (ask your mates beforehand
icon_redface.gif
!) ?

When I pack for any trip, I try to set priorities: Essentials; Nice to have; Luxury. Most advice also says that it is worth taking 1 'luxury' item, for a treat - though whether this is worth it on a long w-e is up to you.

BTW - Mountain Warehouse shop in St James Centre had some of those microfibre towels going cheap when I was in a couple of days ago. (Why should the big ones be cheaper than the smaller ones ??
wacko.gif
)

Take spare tent pegs. The wind can be fierce.

OP
OP
sleekitcollie

sleekitcollie

You'll not be taking the 'fall-off-round-the-corner' bike, then ?? ;)

It sounds like a mad great idea and I would think layers of warm clothing, waterproof trousers/RainLegs, waterproof overshoes, a second pair of gloves (for when the first get wet
rain.gif
), sunglasses/ cream :biggrin:, a good sense of humour and you should be set for a fun week-end.

I have not done any cycle touring but most advice seems to be to lay out all your kit, then go through it item by item and eliminate anything not essential. Do you really need your pj's/teddy or would your base-layer be OK for sleeping ? Shaving ? Is deodorant essential (ask your mates beforehand
icon_redface.gif
!) ?

When I pack for any trip, I try to set priorities: Essentials; Nice to have; Luxury. Most advice also says that it is worth taking 1 'luxury' item, for a treat - though whether this is worth it on a long w-e is up to you.

BTW - Mountain Warehouse shop in St James Centre had some of those microfibre towels going cheap when I was in a couple of days ago. (Why should the big ones be cheaper than the smaller ones ??
wacko.gif
)

no not the falling off bike :rolleyes:, ive put a rack on the tricross ,a cpl of Schwalbe Marathon Plus . so should be sorted .
as its only a weekend i,ve got room for warm clothes and waterproofs etc . the deodorant is a must but we can share 1 between us ;). ive got a few of those microfibre towels from my motorcycling tours but thanx for the link

Take spare tent pegs. The wind can be fierce.

have some good pegs with my vango but will stick in a few lightweight storm pegs as a back up

and of coarse my factor 15 suncream :whistle:

Top Bottom