winter tyres 23 or 25 ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
Personally I wouldn't touch Gatorskins, esp in winter. Much more grip with the 4 seasons, or Bonty Hardcase, or even Michellin Lithion (although these are probably not as hardy). Others however have no problems - so each to their own.

I run 23s all year round - although this is more to do with clearance than anything else.
I thought I had found the ultimate cheap winter tyre when I first discovered Michelin Lithion 2s - however, they puncture at a rate I've never seen before!!! I quickly stopped using them after a few months.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I thought I had found the ultimate cheap winter tyre when I first discovered Michelin Lithion 2s - however, they puncture at a rate I've never seen before!!! I quickly stopped using them after a few months.
Cant say I've ever noticed that they are worse than most others.... although I have gone through a rash of punctures recently, after months and months with no problems. I tghink they tend to come in bursts though, so maybe you were just unlucky. Either taht or the puncture fairy has a soft spot for you :wub:

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Had 23c tyres on my previous bike which were great but have now got 25c, and my personal opinion is that they roll a lot better, seem quicker and handle very well indeed. Will be sticking with the 25's from now on for sure

just in the process of ditching the 25c's in favour of 23c's simply because of clearances and mud build up around the brake blocks and the fact that if I inflate the 25c's to max pressure they are just ever so slightly catching the brake calipers such is the lack of clearance on my bike. my OH's identical except size bike does not have these issues with the same 25c tyres otherwise I would say 25c's.

I had a 25mm Mitch Lithion on whilst I awaited a 23mm Mitch Pro4 Endurance to come, looked as good as new when I took it off just under 1000miles (nearly a month) later, sounds like I was lucky though.

To the OP if you have clearance for 25mm why not, theres marginal gains in comfort and debates as to whether they roll better than 23 or not (in my experience its not noticeable) and perhaps that extra 2mm will give that extra bit of grip (again not noticeable). Aparrently some of the pro teams are now shifting to 25mm.

Top Bottom