Winter Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Having hit the road quite a bit this month and fully intending to keep rolling through the next few months and also experiencing a few twitchy moments on my summer rubber of recent weeks i wondered if anyone could recommend a decent set of winter tyres.

Would prefer if they still rolled reasonably well but some better grip on the wet surfaces we have now would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance

Andy

What size you looking at? What bike?

I still run 23's on my road bike in winter (conti gatorskins) and have nothing but admiration for the way they handle all sorts of conditions. Today i had them up some serious back roads with some terrible surfaces, they handled it all very well. Some people have mentioned their handling in the wet but i personally ride cautiously around corners etc in the wet anyway. They roll pretty well. In summer i run Vittoria cx open corsa's and they are one of the best rolling tyres available so in comparison they hold up okay.
My CX/winter bike runs 28mm pasella tourguards. A great bomb proof tyre that rolls quite well. Never had a puncture. Never need to swerve from debris or gravel like i would on the 23's.

Both reasonably priced. £23-£28 per tyre at most.

Regarding better grip in the wet, i seriously would just consider slowing down for anything sketchy like bends, manhole covers, white painted lines, yellow lines or any winter related road condition. Buying a road tyre that suggest superior handling in the wet will only lead to over confidence. A sure fire way to end up on your arse!

OP
OP
A

andrew boaz

Regular
Sorry i realised once i had posted that i failed to mention bike type.

I ride a trek madone 5.2 with 23's on at present. Currently the bontrager tyres it came with.

musa

Über Member
i have conti gatorskins since i started riding

but on my fixie/ss i have marathon plus heavy buggers but fine rollers no issues so far

Top Bottom