winter tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mortiroloboy

I'll be fitting a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Pluses soon, due mainly to the sort of roads the club tends to use, prone to p*nct*re inducing cr*p strewn across the road.

simoncc

I found 23mm tyres too puncture prone all year round, especially in winter. I use 25mm all year round now on the road except when I take out my nice road bike with 23mm tyres on sunny summer days.

RedBike

I seem to be missing the logic here.
Why are wider tyres better for winter / more punture resistance?

I used to use wider (25mm tyres) during winter because I wasn't racing and prefered that little bit more comfort. I say used to because my Ribble 'winter' bike doesn't take tyres larger than 23mm.

Gatorskins have got pretty good puncture protection when new. They start to struggle a bit once they start getting worn (Loads of tyres do). The only real downside to them is they're a bit sketchy in the wet.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Got shwalbe marathon + in garage from last year, however i`m gonna risk the Mich pro2`s and see how it goes, my route to and from work is fairly good in respect to smooth tarmac and not much in the way of rubbish strewn across the roads.

simoncc

RedBike said:
I seem to be missing the logic here.
Why are wider tyres better for winter / more punture resistance?

I used to use wider (25mm tyres) during winter because I wasn't racing and prefered that little bit more comfort. I say used to because my Ribble 'winter' bike doesn't take tyres larger than 23mm.

Gatorskins have got pretty good puncture protection when new. They start to struggle a bit once they start getting worn (Loads of tyres do). The only real downside to them is they're a bit sketchy in the wet.

I can't give you the logic but I find that wider tyres have more puncture resistance. 23mm tyres get punctured much more than 25mm ones of the same brand with me. I always use Continental Ultra Sport, the new verison of the Continental 1000. The 28mm ones on my tourer never seem to puncture.

cadseen

Veteran
tempessuk said:
should i put wider tyres on my road bike or just leave my 23mm gatorskins on
Many thanks

Agree with previous post, wider tyres are not more puncture resistant.
If you absolutely dont want to puncture, use Specialized Armadillo, much better than gatorskins. and they last a lot longer with the extra rubber.

Bigtallfatbloke

Isn't it more to do with road grip in the wet/ice etc than puncture resisitance though? I have 28 marathons on my galaxy and 23 's on my bianchi...tomorrow I will ride the galaxy because of the bad weather...I think wider tyres grip better in the wet.

Top Bottom