Winter tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Have tried to search forum with zilch results so apologies if there is a similar thread.

This will be the first year of commuting on a FB road bike. Currently have gatorskins fitted which I haven't had any problems with but don't seem that stable in wet/damp weather. Hence I think I may get a bit nervous.

Is it worth my while getting some tyres more suited for wintry conditions - do any exist? :biggrin: Or is it just a case of staying off the bike during bad conditions?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Could be worth getting some others. I find Gatorskins a bit twitchy in the wet too.
I used Conti touring tyres (28mm IIRC) last winter and they were fine. Not quite as quick as the Gators though...

OP
OP
snapper_37

snapper_37

Thanks foss but a bit out of my price range at the moment (unless I get my little xmas bonus this year) :rofl: I had some schwalbe marathons on my Scott Sportster and they seemed decent.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Last year I found a link to some weird US site with instructions for putting screws through tyre (from inside to out) so as to create a tyre that gripped on ice & snow.
That was after I'd slid 30 ft across a road junction on my a**e.

PapaZita

Guru
Michelin Krylion Carbon have good grip and are long lasting. Currently available for £20 each at Chain Reaction which seems like good value.

PZ.

OP
OP
snapper_37

snapper_37

rich p said:
For puncture resistance on gritted roads I recommend Schwalbe Stelvio Plus in 700 x 23

So, it won't make it any more safer if I was to get a wider tyre :laugh:

Doh, I feel like a right divvy.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
snapper_37 said:
So, it won't make it any more safer if I was to get a wider tyre ;)

Doh, I feel like a right divvy.

I thought they only did them in 700x23 but they may do a 700x25. Bigger than that go for Marathons.
They may seem pricey but mine are about to go back on the bike for their third winter with no signs of wear and, as yet, no punctures.

Top Bottom