Winter Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tyke

Currently running Continental Ultra Sport 700 x 23 on Shimano R500 Wheels that came as standard on a Carrara Vanquish, done about 1000 miles so far and quite happy but thinking about going into winter. What size can I go up to on these wheels and what do you think are my best options. I'm not that bothered about punctures as I can fix that if needed but would like to be able to ride on road in most winter conditions and I feel a bit wider tyre might help, I would then probably refit the Continentals after the bad weather.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
The tyres you have will be ok in rain n slush. Ice, lying snow and the compact slush/ice/snow hybrid conditions are the only days you'll need different tyres. With your bike having tight clearances you'll struggle to fit anything winterized.
Treaded tyres don't make the slightest difference as the tread's fill up and compact in the above conditions anyway. Sheldon brown's site explain's it all.

BSRU

A Human Being
For ice/compacted snow you will need studded tyres which do not come in small sizes, the smallest Schwalbe winter tyre is 35c.

OP
OP
Tyke

Tyke

The tyres you have will be ok in rain n slush. Ice, lying snow and the compact slush/ice/snow hybrid conditions are the only days you'll need different tyres. With your bike having tight clearances you'll struggle to fit anything winterized.
Treaded tyres don't make the slightest difference as the tread's fill up and compact in the above conditions anyway. Sheldon brown's site explain's it all.

Thanks for that I have been in some very bad rain and they hpld the road very well but I thought I might need something else for winter but it sounds like I should be OK.

rusky

CC Addict
If you're riding for pleasure, then stick with what you've got & avoid shaded areas that may have frost/ice.

For commuting (especially as I came off last year on black ice!) I have just got some marathon winters to go on my MTB :thumbsup:

Top Bottom