winter's coming

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

marco polo

johnr said:
I've managed every day for the past 2 winters both on a hybrid. As a wimp, I do not subscribe to the just get thicker socks theories. I've got everything I can get my hands on.

Bike: yes to muguards; most big tyre makers have winter recommendations. I used specialized - but not on a road bike. Keep as clean as you can. Get a decent lube - I use purple extreme. The salt is vicious.

Weather: Harder. You need to balance wind, water and cold protection against comfort when exerting yourself. I've spent quite a lot on clothes, but when I started I got most of my cheap from Lidl, Aldi or Tchibo. Their stuff is more than adequate, and really cheap. You'll need base layers, shirts and a jacket. Aldi did some great trousers last winter with water resistant panels at the front. I use rainlegs - I found that waterproof trousers made me wet with sweat faster than the rain. But wet thighs are worse than uncomfortable! Most of the water comes up from the road rather than down from the sky, so get used to wet calves!

If you are going to spend a little bit of cash I'd go for some decent gloves and overshoes or waterproof socks. Before I got clip in pedals, I wore light walking boots which kept me dry. Toasty fingers and toes will make everything else seem bearable. If you're absolutely certain you're going to keep going all winter, a merino will base layer is worth it. They stay warm even when wet, wick sweat away from the body really well and don't smell! Howies have some in their sale at the moment for about £35.

Some sort of under-helmet protection against cold and water would be good. I use a buff until it gets really cold. I've got a Tchibo hat £3 which did the trick when it was really cold or pouring down. Buffs are great for covering exposed areas between top of shirt and head.

Safety: Decent lights so they can see you. I got a Foska bones jacket for Xmas my first year and on-coming traffic imediately slowed and dipped headlights. Even more dramatic was the effect of flashing reflective armbands from Aldi: at £2, the best buy I've made. The worst thing about winter commuting is idiots who drive towards you at full beam, so some glasses with a slight tint even at night are essential for me on country roads.

Enjoy!
thanks for the info will get some more gear for winter

videoman

Guru
Fortunately we do not have a winter here as my bike does not have mudguard eyes and I only have shorts and short sleeve cycling tops. I have been cycling in a vest for the last few months as short sleeves are too hot to wear in summer.

Fortunately we do not have a winter here as my bike does not have mudguard eyes and I only have shorts and short sleeve cycling tops. I have been cycling in a vest for the last few months as short sleeves are too hot to wear in summer.

and that is supposed to help us how? (mutters) you lucky bstd

gary r

Guru
Make sure you have good lights & reflective clothing,A balaclava under your helmet or skullcap to keep your head warm & overshoes are a must,2 sets of good gloves incase you get a soaking i always find the gloves take the longest time to dry,Maybe some heavy duty tyres like Specialized armadillo will help keep punctures at bay.I always use mudguards & use a pannier in winter so any reflective clothing is not obscured by a rucksack

And another thing... check the sales on Evans, Wiggle and other on-line shops. I picked up a nice winter shirt last year for 60 percent off. Mainly works for small and huge sizes, but worth a hunt.

Also, if you can afford it, a spare set of clothes at work. There is nothing worse than climbing into damp clothes at the end of the day. At the very least a spare pair of socks in a Morrisons carrier if it's raining when you set out.

I've really been enjoying my rides since you started this thread; the weather seems extra nice now thinking of the winter. Thanks

giant man

Cycling in winter is fine provided you do have mudguards to keep the crap off, a decent warm reflective jacket and longs and taking care. Then you shouldn't fall off, except if you happen to hit black ice you'll fall off anyway.

Noodley

alecstilleyedye said:
aldi are doing their winter cycling stuff on the 27th according to my sources. if it's anything like last year you'll be able to get a full winter outfit for buttons.

what he said ^^^^^^^

Get along to aldi for cheap and "decent enough" gear. But try whatever you are thinking of buying on before buying as sizes vary according to some unknown factor, most likley connected to mystical forces which we have no power over. Last year I bought a couple of jackets. I tried on one to see if it fitted and bought the other one based on the fact it also had the same size indicated on the label - the size on the label may have been the same but the size of the jacket bore no resemblance to the other one. Luckily I was able to swap it for a jacket (2 sizes different according to the label) which fitted.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
As someone keeps saying somewhere - it's not bad weather, just bad clothing.

Clothing technology has come on massively - last winter I was using wind proofed bib tights with shorts, an undertop (made by my wife from fabric imported from the US called power dry - cost buttons as fabric, but would retail for £30 at least) and a windproof thermal top - just two layers, plus gloves, overshoes (very essential) and a windproof skull cap type thing for under my rather windy helmet (in summer it's great) ! Warm as toast witout getting sweaty !

buggi

Bird Saviour
marco polo said:
bike is a carrera cyphon, 700 t6 road pro is this bike any good?
Also on the front forks it says [comp blade ]does this mean they are carbon fibre? excuse my ignorance but im new to bikeing and started just , to loose weight and get fit , so went into halfords and just liked it.
Yes it has eylets to crew mudguards on does this mean i can fit any full mudguards
if they are carbon forks they will be warmer to touch than the rest of the frame, especially in the morning before sun hits your bike. my carbon forks are black, frame is a different colour.

Top Bottom