Wired over wireless bike computer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

notmyrealnamebutclose

Hey all

Bit new to this proper biking lark but really enjoying the freedom of riding. I'm after a bike comp, nothing too fancy

budget up to around 15 quid (last of the big spenders eh) Thing that's mainly swaying me looking on line and comparing

wireless units and wired, is the wired ones seem to have a permanent mount/docking station which appeals to me

for the convenience of this type, simply pop it on and off say when just parking up for a wonder round or whatever.

They seem a lot less faff. Just wondered others opinions on here and hopefully some recommendations of basic bc's

and maybe what to avoid. Thanks all.

RussellZero

Wannabe Stravati
Have you considered using a good app on your phone instead, like cyclemeter, ride with go’s or strava? You’ll get a lot more info than a simple wheel speed computer, and be able to plan routes and so on. Maybe spend the money on an app, subscription or a phone mount for your handlebars?

OP
OP
notmyrealnamebutclose

notmyrealnamebutclose

Thanks Russell, that may be something I would consider in the future when I buy a proper roadie and venture
further away, will see how I get on with a basic one. I really must get on and order one tonight as I'm quite
curious of my top speed. I've been telling peeps I must be hitting 30mph but suspect I'm being a tad optimistic.
Or deluded lol.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I just have a wired one from Aldi picked a few years ago. I only have an interest in roughly how far I've gone and don't use any other functions on it. Depends what you want from a ride I guess.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I would save £15 and load any one of the free apps on my phone (Strava, Runkeeper etc etc) and use that, until I know what I really want. ;)

Big John

Guru
It comes down to personal choice and, of course, whether you own a smart phone. I must be the only person left on planet Earth not to own one nor do I want one but that's not because I hate them - I just know I'd never be off the bloody thing. However, I have some sort of Cateye wireless computer. Had it for donkeys years and it's reliable. No faffing around wrapping wires round your forks. I'm not normally tidy by nature but I'm not a fan of having wires unwinding and looking a mess either. We've gone wireless on most other things so why not bike computers? I only use it on club rides so I know when someone shouts 'Back it off a notch' I can see what speed I'm doing and knock it back 1mph. It's a bit more accurate than pure guesswork.

Hey all

Bit new to this proper biking lark but really enjoying the freedom of riding. I'm after a bike comp, nothing too fancy

budget up to around 15 quid (last of the big spenders eh) Thing that's mainly swaying me looking on line and comparing

wireless units and wired, is the wired ones seem to have a permanent mount/docking station which appeals to me

for the convenience of this type, simply pop it on and off say when just parking up for a wonder round or whatever.

They seem a lot less faff. Just wondered others opinions on here and hopefully some recommendations of basic bc's

and maybe what to avoid. Thanks all.
I think a disadvantage of a wireless computer is that you may need 2 batteries? Not sure, you'll need to check.
Both should have a mount attached to the handlebars that allow you to remove the actual unit easily.

These things tend to be quite simple and there's no need to spend a lot. I'd suggest Decathlon as I find their gear good value for money and they have an excellent returns policy. If you've a store close by they might even fit it for you, if that seems a bit daunting.

Good luck!

snorri

Legendary Member
The display unit on the handlebars is usually easily removeable on both wired and wireless computers. The batteries last for a long time so the fact that two are required on wireless is not a big deal.
My Cateye computers are quite aged now but still serve me well,

RussellZero

Wannabe Stravati
Thanks Russell, that may be something I would consider in the future when I buy a proper roadie and venture
further away, will see how I get on with a basic one. I really must get on and order one tonight as I'm quite
curious of my top speed. I've been telling peeps I must be hitting 30mph but suspect I'm being a tad optimistic.
Or deluded lol.
A free phone app will give you speed.

OP
OP
notmyrealnamebutclose

notmyrealnamebutclose

Blimay, if an app can increase my speed I will have to look in to that. Seriously though, I only take my
old spare 2g mob on bike journeys - for emergencies only.

The wired one's that I've looked at online don't normally come with a fixed docking point, for my budget,
usually a rubber strap type thing which you have to flaff about with and me being me will probably lose, plus
the wired one's appear to be less prone to interference, less sensitive, a better battery life too so I believe.

I would like a cateye but don't think they have a backlight nor a temperature readout, could be wrong
about that though. Thanks for all the input guys.

Top Bottom