Wireless Gear Changing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Citius

How long before we get wireless brakes I wonder?

Brakes will all be hydro in a few years, so wires will be redundant anyway.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
I have been pondering buying a Dura ace Di2 groupset for ages to go on one of my bikes, but just haven't got around to it yet.
I might wait a bit longer until this becomes available. Looks like it would be a dream to fit what with no cabling.
I have ridden a Di2 equipped bike and the shifting is so much more efficient than mechanical, especially front dérailleur shifting.
I wonder how much it will actually cost?

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
Brakes will all be hydro in a few years, so wires will be redundant anyway.

But could we lose the hoses as well? If a wireless shifter can move a rear mech 11 steps, could a wireless system move a piston in a disc brake - say 11 steps of 0.1mm? I'll bet that someone somewhere is working on it.

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
I have been pondering buying a Dura ace Di2 groupset for ages to go on one of my bikes, but just haven't got around to it yet.
I might wait a bit longer until this becomes available. Looks like it would be a dream to fit what with no cabling.
I have ridden a Di2 equipped bike and the shifting is so much more efficient than mechanical, especially front dérailleur shifting.
I wonder how much it will actually cost?

I'm in a very similar position. How long do you hold off? Do you think CD's will catch on?^_^

Citius

Buy what you need, when you need it. If you decide to wait for stuff to come to market, you may end up waiting years. Life's too short.

Anyway, if you did away with hoses, you'd need to replace them with electronic control boxes - so I can't really see any advantage in wireless braking.

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
Need and want are very different words!

I only need a 2 x 5 downtube shifter setup^_^

But point taken, life's too short and all that.

Drago

Legendary Member
Could be fun with people wirelessly hacking them to sabotage races.

sidevalve

Über Member
So you would trust your life to a electronic gismo working the brakes ? Yes I know airoplanes use 'fly by wire etc' but they tend to be a bit better maintained than cycles and have more back-up systems and don't rely on tiny batteries exposed to road salt and heavy vibration [and the phrase is 'by wire' not by wireLESS]. Cars use lots of electronics but not the brakes - not totally. Assuming there is no electronic interference of course :huh:
Why ? To save a few grams in weight on cables ?

MikeW-71

Veteran
Controlling "in-tube" electric motors, perchance?
When I saw the UCI stripping bikes down looking for motors, I thought it just couldn't be done that small as all the e-bikes I'd seen had massive batteries and obvious motor installations.

Then I saw the adverts for the in-tube motor assist that already exists, and how it could be totally concealed within the frame (batteries included) :ohmy: . Very impressive.

However I was thinking more of Oleg thinking it funny to knock Cav up a couple of gears in the middle of Alp d'huez ;)

Top Bottom