Wireless or wired Topeak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hillwalker

I have had my fair share of cheap cycle computers mostly cheap ones both wired and wireless. Had silly little issues with both types. I'm looking to buy a Topeak Panoram V12 Widescreen Computer but would like to hear any comments on any pros and cons for either wired or wireless with this unit or units genrally.

kyuss

Veteran
I've been tempted by wireless computers in the past but coupled with comments about reliability in the readings, the fact they are initially more expensive and the fact they eat batteries, I've always stuck with wired computers. A tiny little wire running up my fork and front brake cable that I don't even notice is not a drawback big enough that I'm be prepared to have a whole days riding data spoiled by dodgy readings from overhead electric cables, traffic lights, mobile phones or led lights. Kind of defeats the purpose of a computer when you get home to find your normal average speed 3 or 4 mph out and a top speed of 200mph+.

Get wired.

Definitely wired imho! Had 2 wireless computers (different brands) fail me in the past, lasted less than 9 months on both occasions. Readings were also temperamental.

No issues since going wired.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
While I would say wired, some of the latest wireless systems are apparently using a different (much higher ?) frequency which has, allegedly, eliminated the spurious readings. Time will tell but for now, it seems wired is 'safer'.

So sorry, no more max speeds of 65mph, just the reality of 35 ! :smile:

Plax

Guru
I'd say wired. I had two wireless computers and they were both pants. Would work on the way to work, but not on the way home. Would not work at all etc. Got given a wired Cateye Enduro 8 computer and it has been as good as gold.

e-rider

crappy member
I've got two Cateye Wireless computers and never had a single problem with either. One of them (cordless 3) is about 5 years old and I've only replaced the batteries twice. I bought 10 duracell batteries from eBay for £10 so it's not even expensive. Never lost the signal even in rain, mud and cold winter conditions. I would never go back to wired.

Top Bottom