Wirral Bikeathon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ukbikes

Anyone planning on doing this year's Wirral Bikeathon? This'll be my 7th year and I'm hoping it'll be dry this year, unlike 2011 & 2012.

I've recently written an extensive guide - 'How to Prepare for a Charity Bike Ride' to help less experienced cyclists prepare. I don't think I'm allowed to post the link yet as I'm still a newbie, however, search for it under that title and it's on the Bikes.org.uk website.

I've also just putting together a map and directions if anyone is interested (same website). The map will be interactive, include elevations and be downloadable for you GPS boys & girls!

aces_up1504

What are the distances? Is one 28 miles? What the off road sections like? Suitable for a Tricross?

OP
OP
ukbikes

ukbikes

What are the distances? Is one 28 miles? What the off road sections like? Suitable for a Tricross?

There are two circuits, one of 14 miles and the other 28 miles. Less experienced cyclists do the first loop (it's a figure-of-eight route) and the rest of us complete the full course. The route is scenic paths, woodland tracks and minor roads. It's suitable for all types of bike, including Tricross.

I've just written an article on it if you wanted for info, including an interactive map with distance & elevation markers and full directions.

The second loop is worst, I wouldn't do it on anything narrower than 28mm tyres, the start of that loop to Thingwall Rd is often muddy (but short) then just before the end is Landican bridleway that is a madly rough, usually muddy, and way too long in those conditions!

The local council (Wirral) are improving some of the surface in time for the ride (the narrow bit) so it should be much better than last year - mind you the first 50 roadies through last year took most of the mud away with them :-) leaving it OK for the rest!

I'm hoping to see the Viking tandemists again this year, they made tracking on road progress reports easy for the radio operators - as an aid to the marshals, also notable for tracking purposes was the one recumbenteer (Mike Friend?) and Dr Tom on the Brompton.

OP
OP
ukbikes

ukbikes

I did the whole route the other day and the paths are in good condition but as you say, this changes to quite bad mud if wet. The Vikings made me smile last year, until they overtook me alongside Pensby School - lol!

aces_up1504

Cheers think I will give it ago. A good way to earn my quarter century and built towards doing my first half century at Liverpool Chester liverpool

OP
OP
ukbikes

ukbikes

I do this route as a quick one hour ride (circuit 1) around the Wirral as it passes my home and saves me a trip to Llandegla, which is a two hour drive (both ways). It's not technical, nor is it difficult but it does ensure I get out on my mountain bike more often.

matthat

Über Member
Myself and @Jet and family will be taking part in this ride, Over last few yrs we've only done 1st loop due to having 2 under tens with us but this year we aim to do full ride in prep for c2c in August! Also i'm doing 100 mile liverpool chester!!:scratch: I'm confident on 50's now so got a few months to build up the other 50!!!!

Powely

I've stupidly signed up for the 100 mile route. I've done a few 50 mile rides last year (non events) so thought I'd push myself to the 100 but worried about finishing in the allocated 7 hours now. I'm now also concerned that the route isn't all road? Can anyone confirm this for me please?

Powely

I've stupidly signed up for the 100 mile route. I've done a few 50 mile rides last year (non events) so thought I'd push myself to the 100 but worried about finishing in the allocated 7 hours now. I'm now also concerned that the route isn't all road? Can anyone confirm this for me please?

Sorry think I've confused the Wirral Bikeathon with the Liverpool/Chester/Liverpool. Think I will do the Wirral ride as part of my training though.

Top Bottom