Wirral to Stone Henge 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eamonnc

Had an absolute ball doing this last year, however I was a little sceptical I could actually do it! I was so unprepared, so clueless but I trooped on and done it. I had my panniers fully loaded, alot of weight behind me dragging me down... I was also on a hybrid, not the best idea for long distance! I didnt have sat nav, I actually bought an atlas on the second day ^_^ I clocked up over 300 miles, averaged 60 mile per day... Bad I know...
But that was then, this is now... I have changed bike, this year I will be cycling on a Jamis Renegade Expat 2016 edition... I have solar power for my phone so I have directions, and can also get an exact time and have it all mapped out for me. This year I will be ditching the camping gear, pannier bags, laptop, clean clothes etc, will be possibly having a stop off at a b&b, but possibly not... I am setting my target for 2 days, 220 miles, but I have this little voice inside my head telling me I can do it in one! Kinda edging toward the voice ^_^
Ive always been on and off with cycling, never really looked at it as a sport, more just a way of life.. But this year I have been focusing quite a bit on health and fitness, as cycling is something I enjoy, I have started investing more into it, its great to be able to just get up and go.
I completed my first century this weekend, went way over 100 miles, more like 130 and it was my first ride in a long time! I have some pretty decent legs on me, time to see exactly what theyre made of :biggrin:

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
For that distance it's certainly possible I two days, especially if you've already done a century or two. If it was me I'd do it over 3 to give room for being tired second day and mechanicals etc.

It sounds like you've learned from last year which is good^_^

When are you planning to ride it? Welcome to CC btw :okay:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Eamon. Ok you can do it in one, but you will miss a lot. A day is 24 hours long, so time wise it is not a problem. But you will be pushing, pushing, pushing all day. Short rest breaks, head down all day, seeing nothing. If the idea of doing a long distance ride like that appeals to you, do a circular route near home. That way if you start to fail, you can get home. Riding in a direct Line away from home and trying it, does not sound like a good idea.

Personally, I would take 3 days. Look at the scenery, pub lunches, take photos, relax and enjoy. I used to cycle from Barton Stacey near Andover to Stonehenge. I used to sit amongst the Stones with my pack up. This was before they turned it into a high Security site like it is now.

Im interested which solar panel you are using and if it actually works?

Im playing with a light touring set up with my Carbon road bike, not credit card touring, but touring with a bivi sack or even a tent. I have found you cannot use rear panniers because you need to set them well back to get your feet out of the way but that really effects the handling. I have found front panniers on the rear work very well. Now I have to work out what I really need to take. I will eventually change to the gear the Transcontinental Race riders use, but for now I am using what I have.

To the set up below, I will certainly add a bar bag to put my odds and sods in. I dont like carrying gear in pockets. I also think even an extra kilo at the front, helps to balance a light bike like this out.

IMG_0002_zps02iyyeub.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom