With winter coming - thoughts on the Castelli Alpha Ros Jacket?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
I would like a quality jacket for my ride this winter.
I've tried few on but have limited choice from local shops so have googled around and checked out top 10 online etc and one that stands out is the Castelli Alpha Ros
£260 is expensive for a jacket, but if the quality is as good as its reviews I'm ok paying that.
I need xxxl as I'm tall and fairly broad across the chest and shoulders, would you reommmed another that equals this or betters ?

IMG_2266.jpg

If you want feedback on a particular item, you might get more responses (and make @Shaun happy) if you include the item in the subject.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I don't think one jacket can do everything. Learn to layer correctly for the conditions you will be riding in. Even the more expensive jackets struggle with breathability if they claim to be waterproof. I use a Gore Oxygen if it is really cold but it is boil in the bag at 5 degrees plus. On a warmer day I will use a long-sleeved jersey and take a light weight windproof/water resistant packable in my back pocket.

Last edited:

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I would like a quality jacket for my ride this winter.
I've tried few on but have limited choice from local shops so have googled around and checked out top 10 online etc and one that stands out is the Castelli Alpha Ros
£260 is expensive for a jacket, but if the quality is as good as its reviews I'm ok paying that.
I need xxxl as I'm tall and fairly broad across the chest and shoulders, would you reommmed another that equals this or betters ?

View attachment 380930
For that price, I would think you would get a pretty decent jacket. Just try not to think about the nice winter bike you could buy for that money ;)

bpsmith

Veteran
I recently got the Castelli Alpha LS Jersey which is the same as the Jacket, but with a breathable back to it. Absolutely amazing piece of kit. Have worn it up to 15 degrees, albeit windy, and it was fine with just a mesh base layer. Jacket will be a fair bit warmer mind you. Ideal for the weather now upon us.

Edit: mine is last years model, rather than the current ROS version, which is supposed to be even better. It’s not supposed to be ultras waterproof, with the inability to breathe. It’s more along the lines of the Gabba by the looks of it.

Last edited:

Mike!

Guru
Can't comment on that Jacket, I have a Gabba which I love and has never let me down. If it's any better than that you'll be very happy!

Top Bottom