Witham and Blues 200k

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Amazing ride organised by Paul Bolton from the Audax Club Lincolnshire starting from the village hall next to RAF Waddington and heading out through Nottinghamshire and Leicestershire before returning North back to the start point.
The terrain was varied,stunning and at some points very testing when you choose to ride a fixie which had me walking some short,sharp lumps :eek: Not to be shamed too much,some of my fellow riders also had a walk or two on geared bikes so all was good.
The weather was wonderful but cold at the start with a slight breeze but warmed up as the day went on.
There were quite a few control points due to the nature of the route but this will be reduced next year.
The route kept to the rolling quiet roads of the counties covered and also included a stretch of the Grantham canal and cycle routes near Newark which were a pleasant detour to normal road riding.
Even with 23's fitted to the fixie,it coped well with all terrain thrown at it and I got to use my new Carridice Nelson Longflap saddlebag which although is large,made carrying everything I need with ease. I think I will add a bagman support as it does hang a bit low for the next ride but all in all it is a perfect Audax/day tour addition.
Food/fluids was easily available along the route and as mentioned, we had a few controls which we required proof we had arrived at certain points which most of the riders used to buy food and get the receipt from the shops.
The ride allowed 14 hours to complete and I managed it in around 11.5 but it was dark by the time we hit the last lump (14%) at Harmston near Waddington which I managed to get half way up before the last walk of the day !
Paul and his helpers put on a massive spread of sandwiches,cake and drinks at the finish which was a welcome end to a fantastic days ride with some really friendly riders from all over the place.
Enjoy some snaps I took, the church is at Dry Doddington and is a challenge to a certain tower In Italy !
DSCN2321.JPG
DSCN2324.JPG
DSCN2327.JPG
DSCN2332.JPG
DSCN2342.JPG
DSCN2345.JPG

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Looks good and cracking weather to boot.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Really was a good ride even with some lumps ! This was the first run of this Audax and will be on the calendar next year
You will have to give me the nod for next year. I fancy this kind of riding and now I have a 'proper' suitable bike I can join you at the campsite for the full experience :okay:

Looks like it was a perfect combination of scenery, terrain, weather and cycling.

OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
You will have to give me the nod for next year. I fancy this kind of riding and now I have a 'proper' suitable bike I can join you at the campsite for the full experience :okay:

Looks like it was a perfect combination of scenery, terrain, weather and cycling.
Saturday 28th is the date this year ;)

Top Bottom