Withdrawal.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nagden

I have been cycling six days a week for a few months and gradually upping the distance. I now feel really good. The problem is when I take a day off I really feel I should be out on the bike. Does anyone else have the same problem.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have been cycling six days a week for a few months and gradually upping the distance. I now feel really good. The problem is when I take a day off I really feel I should be out on the bike. Does anyone else have the same problem.
Rest and recovery days are as important as the days cycling if you’re training. Overtraining will only set you back
How far are you riding a week, what sort of terrain?
Do you also do other exercise, esp weight bearing? Do you stretch after your rides?

OP
OP
nagden

nagden

Thanks for the reply. I am up 145kms with à long ride of 40. This week my long ride Will be 50km. I do stretch and work physically most days. After a few health probs at the beginning of the year I am just pleased that I am feeling so good at the moment And feel as if I want to cycle all the Time, hence the Withdrawal.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Don't beat yourself up over having a day off, as Vickster says, rest days are important, although my last day off the bike was the beginning of Jan, but I do have quite a few 'easy' days, gentle turbo sessions, or a ride out with my wife, which are very low intensity & as good as a rest day :okay:

nickAKA

Über Member

All the time, it's quite common. I become unspeakably grumpy when I've got a ride or a run planned and life conspires to stop me doing it. I feel like Willard in Apocolypse Now, stuck in a room in Saigon whilst 'Charlie' is out 'there', getting stronger...

I'm sorry I can't offer a solution but rest days are as important as training days. I beat the instinctive urge yesterday by getting stuck into some DIY I've been putting off for weeks. Nothing makes you want to slouch in front of the box quite like that...

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
The fastest riders take days off.

PK99

Legendary Member
Don't beat yourself up over having a day off, as Vickster says, rest days are important, although my last day off the bike was the beginning of Jan, but I do have quite a few 'easy' days, gentle turbo sessions, or a ride out with my wife, which are very low intensity & as good as a rest day :okay:

AKA active recovery, and good to flush out damage product from trained muscles.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
AKA active recovery, and good to flush out damage product from trained muscles.
It does seem to be working well for me this year. 2015 I rode every day & was 'hammering' it almost every day, did a 100 miler at end of January & my legs never recovered all year, constant aching, but this year my mileage so far is about 900 up on 2015, but with the 'active recovery' a few days a week my legs feel fine this year. My wife is getting out more & more, just bought a new bike today, so I reckon I'll be having more 'recovery rides' in coming days & weeks :okay:

Top Bottom