Witnessed another collision...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
User3143 said:
Easy that, you give way, you being on a mbike and them on a pushbike.

I thought of that.;)

Tynan

Veteran
I was taught on CBT to get so tight to the curb when turning left that a bike could not pass, granted that might not be practical at speed

I thought I was going to see someone mashed today at Aldgate, three or four of us set off at a bit of a clip and the bloke in front of me giving some heave ho had his bike make a crack, i think he might have snapped a pedal, this led to him swerving wildly to the right and very close to going under a very large skip truck, he just about saved it and swerved left and then right before managing to stop

my 'f***ing hell mate, I thought you were toast' as i went past got a rather wild roll of the eye from a rider I think rather rattled

no, no camera, I really must get it set up, I'm missing classic footage every single day almost

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Tynan said:
no, no camera, I really must get it set up, I'm missing classic footage every single day almost

You lot lead exciting lives. I've been commuting now for (runs out of fingers) about 13 years and have almost never seen anything particularly out of the ordinary or especially dangerous - just run-of-the-mill stuff which was never going to result in more than a bruised ego. I've had two offs - doored both times, which is arguably as much my fault as anyone elses. One guy (door ripped off its hinges) was very apologetic, the other (more interested in his phone-call) couldn't care less. Both times I got up and carried on without damage to me or my bike.

Wow...I've been lucky with doors and long may it continue....but I have other hairy incidents including two which have been caught on film recently.

Tynan

Veteran
some very close shaves with doors

The Highway Code is unusually clear about who is at fault for opening their door inot the path of a passing vehicle

yes, London rush hour is a mad house

Tynan said:
some very close shaves with doors

Wouldn't a razor make more sense? :thumbsdown:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
User3143 said:
Easy that, you give way, you being on a mbike and them on a pushbike.

not that easy at all I'm afraid Lee.

So one vehicle is doing everything right, rear obs, signalling, road positioning and taking the turn and carefully (in motion).

second vehicle is ignoring all of that and taking the inside line on a junction (where only one lane exists), forcing the first vehicle to take evasive action...mid turn...yet you still think I should "look after" their interests above mine.

Before you answer, swap the two vehicles around, am I right if I push up the inside on my motorcycle and cause a cyclist to swerve and cancel a turn, after all, he/she surely should have seen me?

We cyclists cant just play the "but I'm a tiny little bike" card as an excuse for our lack of road craft or consideration. Being more fragile does not make it right, we all have a responsibility to make the roads safer for each other.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Hopefully it'll be live in a week or two. It's a bit like my Vauxhall cyclist tries to undertake a skip lorry twice video, but it also has the view in the lorry's cab and mirrors. Filmed using a Gopro in the lorry, and my VIO on my head, both for lorrycam/helmet camera realism. Not very far from you in Borough high street.

Gah, I was really pants at acting and filming at the same time. Those people have serious skills, I've no idea quite why they risked taking me on. I just really hope they managed to rescue something from my hamfisted amateur filming.

Origamist

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
Hopefully it'll be live in a week or two. It's a bit like my Vauxhall cyclist tries to undertake a skip lorry twice video, but it also has the view in the lorry's cab and mirrors. Filmed using a Gopro in the lorry, and my VIO on my head, both for lorrycam/helmet camera realism. Not very far from you in Borough high street.

Gah, I was really pants at acting and filming at the same time. Those people have serious skills, I've no idea quite why they risked taking me on. I just really hope they managed to rescue something from my hamfisted amateur filming.

Excellent - perhaps they wanted a bit of rough and ready footage/acting to cut in!

Only last week (opposite Borough tube) there was a HGV/cyclist left turning collision - the cyclist had serious injuries, but survived.

I look forward to seeing it.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
The bit I'm most annoyed with myself for was allowing the camera to stray too far to the right, and get one of the marshals stopping traffic in the field of view. This was on one of the best takes too.

Top Bottom