Wobbling away

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wooster

Dear all,

I am back trying to get to grips with cycling again after a break boating and then another enforced break stuck at home with a chesty bug. it's sort of going all right but I've had a few hairy wobbly moments. In fact, my balance is a bit dodgy all around and trying to signal with my arm causes a certain amount of stress^_^. When I turn corners I sometimes end up not going where I want :ohmy:

I've really only had about a dozen or so "build-up" rides on the bike totalling no more than 40 miles and I'm hoping this will improve but I do worry my old brain is past it.

Is this normal?

Confused, Kent

alicat

Legendary Member
It could be. Maybe knock off the added pressure of signalling until you've had more time back in the saddle?

Dear all,

I am back trying to get to grips with cycling again after a break boating and then another enforced break stuck at home with a chesty bug. it's sort of going all right but I've had a few hairy wobbly moments. In fact, my balance is a bit dodgy all around and trying to signal with my arm causes a certain amount of stress^_^. When I turn corners I sometimes end up not going where I want :ohmy:

I've really only had about a dozen or so "build-up" rides on the bike totalling no more than 40 miles and I'm hoping this will improve but I do worry my old brain is past it.

Is this normal?

Confused, Kent

Any opportunity to stay away from cars etc? Cycleways, tow paths, its surprising how less stressful this is, a great way to fully appreciate autumn riding. Good luck to you.

Another vote for traffic-free, if at all possible. I rarely use roads, although aiming for a road loop of Tavistock this morning, on my old rigid mtb. The last time I did this on my previous rigid mtb, I got knocked off...

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
When you say you have had a break from cycling, how long are we talking about, 2yrs, 10yrs, 40yrs?

If it has been a decade or more then I'm not at all surprised you haven't jumped back on a bike and felt right at home....

As a life long road cyclist and driver I can see how the road environment has changed over time and the current conditions are certainly 'intense' even for a battle hardened/scarred campaigner like me. The COVID lull was nice while it lasted but normality has returned with a vengeance and more!

Anyway, back to your situation. If you can get some riding time away from the roads and traffic while you practice your your bike skills it might help you relax. There's nothing worse for good bike control than being tense/nervous and you really need to be in a position where your bike control is second nature without consciously having to think about it other than thinking 'I'm going to head that way'.

Once you reach that stage you can ride in traffic more comfortably and devote your concentration to what is happening around you without worrying about what the bike is doing.

Give it time and it will come together, unless you have an underlying problem that is causing your balance issues?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Your bug could have affected your ears and thus your balance. Riding a bike is not something you forget . I’m sure you’ll get it back, confidence will come with practice.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Agree with @I like Skol
When riding away from traffic I'm ok on the bike. On roads, the busier they are the wobblier I get. Especially these days with the increasing congestion we face. Unless there's a medical issue there, chances are it's just nerves.

DRM

Guru
When turning look at where you want to go, do not look at obstacles/elsewhere, as that is where you will end up going, also agree with staying off road until you’re a bit more confident in your riding

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

wooster

Hmmm. I thought I'd replied to this but clearl,y I didn't. Oops! Apologies.

Thank you for your help. I'm not just wobbly near traffic but in general. Going slow in tight places is like some sort of Benny Hill sketch!

I am mainly riding in quiet roads or woodland paths for now and I'm pretty sure some of it is just a lack of assurance. I lack the confidence of youth but I hope I gain some soon. As far as I know, I don't have any particular issues but due to ageing and accompanying physical deterioration, I probably just need to practise a bit harder than when young.

I will keep on keeping on and hope for the best ^_^

CXRAndy

Guru

Thank you for your help. I'm not just wobbly near traffic but in general. Going slow in tight places is like some sort of Benny Hill sketch!

I am mainly riding in quiet roads or woodland paths for now and I'm pretty sure some of it is just a lack of assurance. I lack the confidence of youth but I hope I gain some soon. As far as I know, I don't have any particular issues but due to ageing and accompanying physical deterioration, I probably just need to practise a bit harder than when young.

Get up early on a Sunday, go down to a carpark and practice riding slowly with turning. Also when going slowly, using the rear brake to cause drag really helps with stability. You just apply enough brake to cause a little bit of drag, this is a known technique for all two wheeled transport. Try not to use front brake when manoeuvring

If you can, check out riding some other bikes, the steering and stability may differ and you may have a more agile steering geometry.

Practice in an empty car park with some slalolm style slow riding around objects. Slow riding is harder than fast riding and will test your balance.

When I started back riding, I thought I'd never get my balance and steering ability back. There was no way I could steer though bollards less than about 6 ft apart, I was scared of steering myself into the canal when riding along the towpath and if I was riding along the quiet lanes near my home, I'd get off and push if I heard a car coming as I knew I wouldn't be able to signal or acknowledge a courtesy if I was also steering the bike ...
I was trying to get out on my bike every alternate day at first, even if often only for fifteen minutes, and soon graduated to two days on/one day off. I think riding frequently, even if not for very long, was very good for me.
Three months later - by autumn last year - I could happily signal when riding on a fairly busy road, acknowledge drivers on quiet lanes with a 'thumbs up' and ride along the canal towpath in all sorts of under-wheel conditions. Not long after that, I learnt which bollards I could steer through - while riding not pushing! - while fully laden with a week's shopping from Lidl.

I've recently been transporting one of my knitting machines on my rear rack; it's slightly wider than my handlebars - and of course fairly fragile - although not as heavy as most, as it's not one of my solid metal ones (that wouldn't be manageable except in a trailer as they weigh around . This has been a bit of a challenge and once more I'm getting off to push through bollards and wheel along trafficed roads - but this is for the sake of my knitting machine, no other reason. And I get to where I want to go without having to rely on anyone else!

Keep on keeping on and you'll get there again!

Petrichorwheels

When I started back riding, I thought I'd never get my balance and steering ability back. There was no way I could steer though bollards less than about 6 ft apart, I was scared of steering myself into the canal when riding along the towpath and if I was riding along the quiet lanes near my home, I'd get off and push if I heard a car coming as I knew I wouldn't be able to signal or acknowledge a courtesy if I was also steering the bike ...
I was trying to get out on my bike every alternate day at first, even if often only for fifteen minutes, and soon graduated to two days on/one day off. I think riding frequently, even if not for very long, was very good for me.
Three months later - by autumn last year - I could happily signal when riding on a fairly busy road, acknowledge drivers on quiet lanes with a 'thumbs up' and ride along the canal towpath in all sorts of under-wheel conditions. Not long after that, I learnt which bollards I could steer through - while riding not pushing! - while fully laden with a week's shopping from Lidl.

I've recently been transporting one of my knitting machines on my rear rack; it's slightly wider than my handlebars - and of course fairly fragile - although not as heavy as most, as it's not one of my solid metal ones (that wouldn't be manageable except in a trailer as they weigh around . This has been a bit of a challenge and once more I'm getting off to push through bollards and wheel along trafficed roads - but this is for the sake of my knitting machine, no other reason. And I get to where I want to go without having to rely on anyone else!

Keep on keeping on and you'll get there again!

can't help but be intrigued - what's all this under the radar knitting machine transportation about?
some sort of northern criminal code?

Top Bottom