Wobbling front wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Hi guys

Seem to be having a new issue with wheel wobble on one of my bikes - the hub is firmly tightened when I checked but it wobbles worse when using the front brake - whether feathered or not. It seems to wobble then lurch? Reseated, the QR lever is correctly tightened. Any ideas why it's started doing this? The brake pads have a 1.5mm-ish gap on both sides but this hasn't been a problem before? Do I need to tighten the front brake?

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you can feel movement when you pull the rim from side to side while holding the fork, it's loose bearings, which need replacing or adjusting.

If it's just a wobble in the rim caused by distortion, you need to get the wheel trued.

Both fairly easy DIY jobs or you can pay a mechanic to do it.

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Not bearings as I checked those and it's tight - I think you've got it Adrian, the headset could be too loose as someone else pointed out to me as I recently flipped the stem.

Cheers both

longy65

To. check hold the front brake on and pull the bars back and forth to feel for play.

I have this on my new (second hand) bike, but the headset won't tighten up to take the slack out, it still rocks. The top cap and screw are tight, the spacers spin a bit, do you think it's knackered?
Could the forks and head tube be worn out? It's a carbon frame and forks.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If you bounce the front of the bike, it will make an all mighty clonking noise - that will be a loose headset. The spacers can still turn if the headset is tight.

longy65

If you bounce the front of the bike, it will make an all mighty clonking noise - that will be a loose headset. The spacers can still turn if the headset is tight.

Hi, just tried your tip and it didn't make a clunk sound? When you hold the front brake you can see the bottom/top of frame cup move slightly back and forth and feel the slight rock?
Do you think it needs new bearings or something?
Thanks for all the advice guys I'm new to all this and a bit annoyed that the bike has this fault.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What I would do in your case is back the lot off, undo the top cap and stem bolts and start again - why, it's most likely you've overtightened the headset. Some top caps aren't that well fitted, so you can get some movement and it's not a guide to it being tight.

Undo them, bounce the front. You will get a clonking. Tighten top cap 1/4 of a turn, test again. Repeat until you can get the clonk to stop. At this point, nip the stem up tight. Over tighten the top cap bolt and it will pull out the star fangled washer and you'll not be able to tighten the headset until the washer is knocked back down the steerer.

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Letting you guys know (thanks for the responses and hope your issue was resolved longy), the issue was a piece of grit on the headset race stopping it sitting flush.

longy65

Fixed :thumbsup:
The top cap was tight on the holding piece and the spacers to short so not tightening down enough. Fitted a new larger top spacer, tightened up and all pulled into place!

Really happy, but the guy I bought it off said it had been fully serviced, must of been some right muppet that did the work!!!

:bicycle:

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Fixed :thumbsup:
The top cap was tight on the holding piece and the spacers to short so not tightening down enough. Fitted a new larger top spacer, tightened up and all pulled into place!

Really happy, but the guy I bought it off said it had been fully serviced, must of been some right muppet that did the work!!!

:bicycle:
good news fella!

Top Bottom