Wobbly rear axle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wmtlynx

After 3 months and around 600 miles of commuting I have noticed that the rear wheel on my BTwin Riverside 1 hybrid has developed a wobble in the axle. It spins freely but I can move the whole wheel side to side on the axle. What is this likely to be? Is it an easy adjustment or have I lost bearings or something? Help appreciated, as I don't have the means to take it back to Decathlon before I need to use the bike again!

Regards,
Steve

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
It sounds like the cones are a bit loose. It should be a simple fix but you may need to get some cone spanners to do this (just extra thin spanners) or take it to your local bike shop.

While playing with the hub it may be worth checking and regreasing the bearings as well.

Pauluk

mcshroom said:
It sounds like the cones are a bit loose. It should be a simple fix but you may need to get some cone spanners to do this (just extra thin spanners) or take it to your local bike shop.

While playing with the hub it may be worth checking and regreasing the bearings as well.

+1. There are some good youtube videos to show you how.

OP
OP
wmtlynx

wmtlynx

Have had a closer look and managed to stop the wobble by tightening up the cones. However, I have noticed that when I spin the axle in the wheel, I get a slight oscillation at the cog side. I'm guessing the axle is a tad bent. Time to replace the axle?

Globalti

Legendary Member
No no no! Cheaper freehub bodies on cheaper hubs often wobble slightly when you spin the wheel. My son's did on his Btwin wheel and it does on his entry-level Shimano wheel. If that's what's happening to yours and there's no play or graunching, stop worrying about it.

OP
OP
wmtlynx

wmtlynx

Play was the wheel moving 3mm or so sideways across the axle. Made setting the brake up impossible as I would spin the wheel with clearance both sides. Then with no brake application during maintenance, spin again and the brake continuously rubbed all the way around. I could then magic up decent clearance on the brake just by sliding the wheel across the axle.

Top Bottom