Wolverhampton, Stafford

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SilverSurfer

I will be working around this area shortly, what kind of terrain is it? Flat?

I was thinking of lunchtime blasts around the lanes near Pendeford business centre on the fixed, but this is set up for local (hilly) terrain on a 63". Would this be a bit low for these parts?

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
SilverSurfer said:
I will be working around this area shortly, what kind of terrain is it? Flat?

I was thinking of lunchtime blasts around the lanes near Pendeford business centre on the fixed, but this is set up for local (hilly) terrain on a 63". Would this be a bit low for these parts?

There's a couple of hills leading to and from the Pendeford Business Park. There's also some nice local villages - Coven, Brewood, Bishops Wood and Codsall all within the area - all with decent climbs.

Haven't got a clue about fixed sorry.

snapper_37

Rhythm Thief said:
It might be a bit low for the lanes around Brewood and Wheaton Aston, they're not exactly hilly.

Must be me then RT as that lane that goes past the church just past Black Ladies is a b*stard!

snapper_37

Rhythm Thief said:
Ah, yes. That one used to catch me sometimes at the end of a 23 mile commute. :whistle:

It catches me everytime and that's only about 15 mile into the ride!!! Most embarrassing on a Sunday morning :angry:

OP
OP
S

SilverSurfer

Cheers guys! I deliberately went low as I found 70" wasn't letting me spin enough up the hills near my home (South Yorks) especially with all the wind that we seem to get in winter nowadays.

I plan to use the commute near Wolves as spinning training so speed isn't highest priority, particularly in winter.

Are the roads "safe" to ride in the dark or are there plenty of nut jobs in Corsas flying round (like at home)?

snapper_37

Rhythm Thief said:
I never had many problems, barring the occasional impatient farmer and the usual incidents that happen everywhere.

Errm I would miss out the Coven to Brewood lane in the dark.... I've nearly been taken out a few times by a barried corsa/fiesta/saxo - take your pick.

I would be up for a weekend ride if you fancy a bit of company silver? But if it's speed training you're looking for - I'm not yer bird :?:

OP
OP
S

SilverSurfer

Cheers Snap, I'll PM you if I'm staying down there - currently planning on returning home at weekends to see the brood

Bodger

For what it's worth, I used to ride 65 in that area with no problems, indeed, I found it better as I tended to drift down through Pattingham and the lumpy bits beyond.

I'm quite envious: ....I used to commute to ..... via those lanes. I didn't realise how lucky I was!

Ditto

but avoid the bike shop in Pendeford - if it's still there. Got my first adult bike there: me being 5'11" he assured me that a 26" frame was ideal.

Top Bottom