Woman convicted of manslaughter after swearing and gesturing at 77 year old cyclist.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
One of the funniest footway cyclist 'conversations' I've seen occurred when I was walking along with a mate of mine. He's a big bloke, and notoriously blunt.

We were walking along a relatively narrow footway in a town one afternoon, when a cocky looking bloke thought he'd charge toward us, expecting us to breath in or step on to a busy road to allow him past. My mate stepped slightly to one side, but stuck his arm out and grabbed the lad by the shirt, lifting him bodily off his bike, which clattered against the wall. My mate simply barked at him "this is a footpath" put him down and we both wandered off, with the lad deciding it was probably wise to say nothing, but just collect his bike and walk off sheepishly in the opposite direction.

simongt

Guru
At the risk of starting a decibel arms race, perhaps get your self an Airzound or similar.
On this point, I'm one of those boring cyclists that uses a bell when approaching pedestrians from behind on shared paths.
However, from experience, it's often pretty pointless as said pedestrians are often 'plugged in' to earphones / headphones so they can't hear me anyway. :whistle:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
On this point, I'm one of those boring cyclists that uses a bell when approaching pedestrians from behind on shared paths.
However, from experience, it's often pretty pointless as said pedestrians are often 'plugged in' to earphones / headphones so they can't hear me anyway. :whistle:
I have that happen about once a year at this end of the county. Keep ringing and maybe Norwich will stop doing different eventually? ;)

Last edited:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Bearing in mind that she has cerebral palsy, I think it's perfectly reasonable for her to be walking in the middle of the footway.
Sounds reasonable, although the devil is in the details.

Unless the cyclist was deliberately shoved, it is the responsibility of the cyclist to be appropriately positioned and be travelling at appropriate speed to safely conduct the manoeuvre, irrespective of the legal status of the path.
No agument about positioning & speed, but even if the cyclist did something wrong (is that your suggestion?), that does not justify pedestrians delivering capital punishment.

Sorry to go on a slight tangent. Last week i was on a shared path along a dual carriageway and some other cyclists were coming the other way (plenty of space, as we crossed paths one of the other cyclists made a loud barking noise ( to annoy me ). This has been going on for months every time we cross paths. In the winter, in the pitch black and they have no lights one of the pair does the same thing. In the context of the incident of this page, if I was to have an accident as a result of being startled, this could land the culprit in serious trouble ? I've got a GoPro to capture this occurance a few times as it is really getting on my nerves. I started avoiding the route which puts me on a road (not the dual carriageway) - Thoughts please.

That's bizarre. But try not to let a barking cyclist annoy you. He's just a d*ck.

The way I see it -
She can't see very well, but she thought that some scumbag was riding a bike on the pavement and gave some verbal abuse to the rider.
Said rider then fall off into the road and gets hit by car.
She then panics and legs it to Sainsbury as she didn't want to talk to the police.
Guilty of her actions – yes, but I don't think she should have gone to prison, what good it is going to do, well maybe she won't do it again.

Well the court case seemed to be quite thorough. I will go with their decision.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
opposite side of the road.
However, this cycleway+foot sign approaching Ambury Road from the west is on the same side of the road:
1677786415325.png

Someone riding east along the north side (as the victim was) would not pass any "Cycleway End" (1980s), "End of Route" (1990s/2000s), "Cyclists Rejoin Carriageway" (2010s-) or "No cycling" sign between that and the incident location. Us old farts might notice the lack of signs after crossing a side road, smell a rat and cross over just in case, but I doubt everyone would. The north side raised pavement looks no worse than the south side one which is signed more. If anything, I think the south side may have more pedal-catching kerbside fences and foot-only crossing signals at more junctions.

I say again, that road is a shoot show.

Edit to add: BBC Look East tonight showed a blue sign they said was 100m away along the pavement, closer than the one I show above.

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite

ditto

icowden

Veteran
The way I see it -
She can't see very well, but she thought that some scumbag was riding a bike on the pavement and gave some verbal abuse to the rider.
Said rider then fall off into the road and gets hit by car.
She then panics and legs it to Sainsbury as she didn't want to talk to the police.
Guilty of her actions – yes, but I don't think she should have gone to prison, what good it is going to do, well maybe she won't do it again.
I think that at the point she was apprehended she continued to lie to the Police and has shown no remorse during the trial.
He said that she had given a "dishonest account in interview" and there was "not a word about remorse until today".
That sort of thing tends to annoy the Judge.

Her brief is going to appeal the prison sentence. I tend to agree with you that a custodial is a bit pointless - a suspended sentence would probably have been better. However, without seeing the evidence and the Judge's summing up, we are only guessing as to why she was given custodial.

On the topic of the Police being unable to determine if it was a cycle path or not

There are several places round here where there is a perfectly good cycle path
then after a while it is less good
then even less and more and more narrow

until eventually you realise that it is probably not a cycle path any more

On many occasions I have gone back on the same route and made a point of checking in case I missed a sign of some kind - and found nothing

So I could be riding along an apparent cycle path that, coming the other way, has had no indication of it because it isn;t at that point but I had no indication of that

Top Bottom