Woman convicted of manslaughter after swearing and gesturing at 77 year old cyclist.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
From what I have read the prosecution messed up and failed to prove there was a crime in the first place
They had to prove this THEN prove the crime resulted in a death

Without the first - the second was not a legal possibility

Presumably the judge also failed in not spotting this

doesn;t mean she was innocent - just case not proved etc

That was my basic grasp of the situation. Well that and the fact she's a nasty old bat. :sad:

PK99

Legendary Member
That was my basic grasp of the situation. Well that and the fact she's a nasty old bat. :sad:

nasty old bat = damaged and vulnerable individual with limited sight and impaired mobility

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
nasty old bat = damaged and vulnerable individual with limited sight and impaired mobility

Although she was found by the Judge at trial to be capable of answering the charges, i.e. to be in the court in the first place. She didn't take the witness stand.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
it means there was no crime
Do crimes only exist if proven in court?

As others have said, thoughts for the Ward family. This must feel awful to them. I wonder if prosecutors or trial judge will comment further.

tom73

Guru
And obviously very dangerous.

Not forgetting having proven capacity.

Slick

Guru
Not forgetting having proven capacity.

Exactly.

Obviously don't know anymore than anyone else, but I'd be very surprised if this was the first incident she'd been involved in. I could imagine her being a menace locally.

Slick

Guru
I have a son who is on the autistic spectrum. He knows right from wrong and would not intentionally or unintentionally cause anyone harm. It's not a 'get out of jail free' card.

Obviously the spectrum is huge, and is different for everyone, but from my limited experience it has absolutely nothing to do with knowing right from wrong.

Obviously the spectrum is huge, and is different for everyone, but from my limited experience it has absolutely nothing to do with knowing right from wrong.

I know there's two kids of a wider family member who is autistic. Right and wrong for one of them isn't the issue. When he's in what could be called a meltdown knowledge of right and wrong isn't a factor. He's violent and not in control. I could quite easily see how he could have put that woman into this road if he'd been there in the wrong circumstances, such as agitation.

This guy is about 40 now and a 6 footer plus heavy set. It's seriously amazing how much his mum is able to control him when things are going wrong with him. Nobody can do that anywhere close to her. Not even carers who have been with him for a long time.

The other kid, who is about 3 years younger, is higher functioning but less social. Not as violent in meltdown but still. It isn't guaranteed that the younger sibling would be safe in this original situation.

I do not know enough about this woman to know how much of an issue her ASD was but a bit of compassion for her difficulties is warrantied. She might not be a nasty old bat. I think that's unfair. However, an unnecessary death is always a bad thing. Imho the biggest takeaway I can see is that pedestrians and cyclists aren't exactly compatible. We really need better provisions and infrastructure for cycling and pedestrians. Holland and Belgium do this well. We need that too!

Slick

Guru
I know there's two kids of a wider family member who is autistic. Right and wrong for one of them isn't the issue. When he's in what could be called a meltdown knowledge of right and wrong isn't a factor. He's violent and not in control. I could quite easily see how he could have put that woman into this road if he'd been there in the wrong circumstances, such as agitation.

This guy is about 40 now and a 6 footer plus heavy set. It's seriously amazing how much his mum is able to control him when things are going wrong with him. Nobody can do that anywhere close to her. Not even carers who have been with him for a long time.

The other kid, who is about 3 years younger, is higher functioning but less social. Not as violent in meltdown but still. It isn't guaranteed that the younger sibling would be safe in this original situation.

I do not know enough about this woman to know how much of an issue her ASD was but a bit of compassion for her difficulties is warrantied. She might not be a nasty old bat. I think that's unfair. However, an unnecessary death is always a bad thing. Imho the biggest takeaway I can see is that pedestrians and cyclists aren't exactly compatible. We really need better provisions and infrastructure for cycling and pedestrians. Holland and Belgium do this well. We need that too!

To be fair, I think I lose a fair chunk of compassion when someone causes someone else to die.

Even in your example, all it illustrates is the guy is capable of a meltdown, it doesn't mean he doesn't know its wrong.

Anyway, its all just semantics now.

Top Bottom