Woman's trip from London to Iran. Foolish?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I've met a couple of people who independantly travelled to Iran as visitors, and in recent years at that. Both commented on the hospitality and kindness of the locals. Both were blokes admittedly. One was a hindu indian cycling through to India as a charity and publicity thing for his (hindu) orphanage charity so, he was a long way indeed from sharing their faith. The other was a British white guy (albeit slighly mediteranean looking so perhaps blended in a bit). Both their comments were very similar to the lady mentioned upthread. No hassles, nothing but friendliness.

EDIT. I should add that the Indian guy was hassled by police in Hungary; he thought it was because by that time he'd grown a long beard and looked like an Islamic extremist, or maybe a hippy. He was robbed at gunpoint in Turkey, but conversely the local army guys went to a lot of trouble to catch the perp, get the guy's kit back and gave him a lift as well as general helpfulness like giving good advice on his route as to which areas were OK and which best avoided.

Last edited:

rualexander

Legendary Member
No, not foolish.
The people of these countries are famed for their hospitality and friendliness to strangers.

fullcycle

Read this at the weekend thoroughly enjoyed it.
When I first heard of it I thought fair play to her you have to admire the sense of adventure
Obviously there were risks involved and possibly more than most other places but as mentioned above and in the article there was an overwhelming warmness and hospitality from most of the people she met, just like everywhere else the good in people usually outweighs the bad

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
@cyclops - [...] stop wondering why you've got such a negative reaction
I can't see a particularly negative reaction, nor can I see @cyclops wondering about it. People are saying "no" in answer to the question posed by the BBC headline, but I don't see that as a negative reaction to the post itself, rather a straight answer.

I defer to EC's extremely well articulated thoughts on this.

He quoted the BBC headline, and the BBC headline is racist and sexist. He also got a negative reaction.

Is there something else you suppose I suggest he did?

You commit two fallacies.

1) You created a non-sequitur by saying that because he quoted a racist and sexist headline, he is guilty thereof too.
2) You assume a negative reaction (whatever you mean by that) proves guilt.

Further, I see no racism or sexism in the said headline. How do you propose the topic of a solo female cyclist in an area perceived to be unsafe be discussed? Was the woman in question herself being racist and sexist when she said she will not allow her daughter to do the same?

I also answered no to his question but made no judgement of the OP. It was just a question.

Top Bottom