Women’s specific winter boots

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dbt

Hi peeps, has anyone found any women specific winter boots? Or do those of us of the female persuasion have to make do with small men’s ones. If you do wear small men’s ones what is the fit like?

Cheers in advance for your replies.

Julia9054

Guru
Is there a difference between men's and women's fit? Or is it just that men's shoes/boots don't come in small enough sizes for some women.
In boots, I have never seen any that say they are just for women.
My feet are a size 5 which means I have much less choice. I wear Shimano MW5 dryshield boots which are ok except in a complete downpour (after this year's cyclechat Scarborough ride, the insides took about 5 days to dry out!)

gbb

Legendary Member
I can't comment re women specifics but be aware of sizes.
I have Diadora Chili winter boots (in mens of course). I'm a size 43 shoe but i think my boots are size 45 or even 46 and while they look big, theyre the very smallest i could get that fitted well (especially as you're probably going to wear thicker socks as well)
I assume the same would be true for smaller / womens sizes.

alicat

Legendary Member
What size are you @Dbt?

I haven't seen any women specific boots. Specialized tend to fit me well and I have long feet so I went with the Defroster. Not the warmest out there, however.

iluvmybike

Über Member
Women's feet are generally more narrow than men's - especially around the heel. They boot/shoe tends to slip around a lot in the toebox and around the heel making them uncomfortable. Some do get away with smaller men's sizes. The trouble is 'smaller' men's sizes tend to be size 6 upwards. I only have size 4 feet and have been unable to find any winter boot (men's or woemn's) in that size. I think manufacturers think that us ladies don't go out in winter. For mountain biking I just use a pair of lightweight walking boots but if it's for road them it's normal summer shoes with a good overshoe

OP
OP
Dbt

Dbt

What size are you @Dbt?

I haven't seen any women specific boots. Specialized tend to fit me well and I have long feet so I went with the Defroster. Not the warmest out there, however.

I’m a size 40, in summer cycling shoes but wasn’t sure how they’d compare to boots.

OP
OP
Dbt

Dbt

Women's feet are generally more narrow than men's - especially around the heel. They boot/shoe tends to slip around a lot in the toebox and around the heel making them uncomfortable. Some do get away with smaller men's sizes. The trouble is 'smaller' men's sizes tend to be size 6 upwards. I only have size 4 feet and have been unable to find any winter boot (men's or woemn's) in that size. I think manufacturers think that us ladies don't go out in winter. For mountain biking I just use a pair of lightweight walking boots but if it's for road them it's normal summer shoes with a good overshoe
Yeah, I’ve bought a pair of sealskinz with the flashy light in the back, but once I’m off the bike at work I’ve got a 10 minute walk before I can get to a seat so I can take them off. Looking at them I’m a bit concerned that the sole is going to wear out in no time at all.

alicat

Legendary Member
It would be good to try on boots in thick socks, so you might need to go a size up.

These come in small sizes and the brand does have a narrow heel ime.

Reactions: Dbt
OP
OP
Dbt

Dbt

It would be good to try on boots in thick socks, so you might need to go a size up.

These come in small sizes and the brand does have a narrow heel ime.
Cool, that’s one of the pairs I was looking at, the other ones being Northwave GTX. Yeah I think I’m going to have to look in the local shops rather than online.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
(after this year's cyclechat Scarborough ride, the insides took about 5 days to dry out!)
Are you still crying about that?

My belief has always been to use what is the best fit, regardless of target gender. This has resulted in my wife riding a 'mens' MTB and being over the moon about the fit/comfort while using a women's specific saddle. She also uses a pair of walking boots selected by me despite her protestations.... "They look like bl00dy walking boots!" but have yielded many a country mile of comfortable tramping.

OP
OP
Dbt

Dbt

Well I’ve bought a pair Shimano MW81’s. They were the on,y pair the shop had in, half price and they fit like the proverbial glove. I suspect the Northwave ones I was after will be better at keeping feet dry, but they didn’t have any in that were small enough for me.

Top Bottom