Womens Merino?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
Hello everyone,

I'm looking to get a couple of sets of Merino clothing, predominantly to take cycle camping.

I'm wanting short and long sleeve tops and leggings that can be worn as PJ's.

Does any one have any recomendations?

vickster

Legendary Member

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've used Bamboo rather than Merino when next to my skin as the Merino makes me itch, and the bamboo has similar properties.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
I've used Bamboo rather than Merino when next to my skin as the Merino makes me itch, and the bamboo has similar properties.
I've not thought about Bamboo - is it light and warm? I'm wanting lightweight clothing with warmth for cycle camping.
Do you recomend any particular brand?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Bamboo is soft and meant to have the same non-smelly properties as Merino and I think of a similar weight. Possibly fractionally not as warm but you can get various items, from socks to thin leggins that I wear under other items in mid winter.

I've bought from various places, there sometimes is a warning saying that it might shrink the first time after washing (why they don't do that first shrink for you I don't know), I think that was just one brand. I'm not at home at the minute so I can't look and see, but Mr Summerdays likes to wear the T-shirts for much of the year. One place which I have bought from is: http://shop.mildwestheroes.co.uk/category/women-s-printed-t-shirts though I've bought it locally in Bristol rather than mail-order which I see they do.

P.H

Über Member
Embers, nice people and quality kit through and through. They'll give you as much advice as you need, good returns policy if it's not what you wanted, they appreciate feedback so the range is constantly evolving. I don't know where you are, but they're in Derbyshire (Belper) worth a visit if you're in the area, though they don't keep regular shop hours;
http://www.embersmerino.com/

My experience with merino is that it's certainly not all the same. Howies, Icebreaker and Embers have proved to be excellent, the cheaper stuff from Planet X and Endura hasn't been as good, not as soft, sometimes itchy and isn't as easy care. I bought three Planet X T shirts for the price of one Embers, I'd rather have the one Embers.
Bamboo probably also comes in different grades, the one T shirt I have is soft and nice to wear but takes too long to dry to make it practical for touring.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Embers, nice people and quality kit through and through. They'll give you as much advice as you need, good returns policy if it's not what you wanted, they appreciate feedback so the range is constantly evolving. I don't know where you are, but they're in Derbyshire (Belper) worth a visit if you're in the area, though they don't keep regular shop hours;
http://www.embersmerino.com/

My experience with merino is that it's certainly not all the same. Howies, Icebreaker and Embers have proved to be excellent, the cheaper stuff from Planet X and Endura hasn't been as good, not as soft, sometimes itchy and isn't as easy care. I bought three Planet X T shirts for the price of one Embers, I'd rather have the one Embers.
Bamboo probably also comes in different grades, the one T shirt I have is soft and nice to wear but takes too long to dry to make it practical for touring.
Thanks for the Embers link - want to order everything!!

Had to settle for ordering the Velo jacket.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Howies currently has a sale on their NBL half-zip- the last word in merino mid layers. I'm on my fourth. £29 down from £59. Finisterre vests might still be on sale too. Get on Planet X's mailing list - now and again they have plain black merino half-zips that are excellent value- heavier weight than the Howies, if slightly coarser. The size M corresponds to a 12-14 . Excuse lack of links- posting from a phone.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Howies currently has a sale on their NBL half-zip- the last word in merino mid layers. I'm on my fourth. £29 down from £59. Finisterre vests might still be on sale too. Get on Planet X's mailing list - now and again they have plain black merino half-zips that are excellent value- heavier weight than the Howies, if slightly coarser. The size M corresponds to a 12-14 . Excuse lack of links- posting from a phone.
Ooooh ....... some lovely stuff on there too, I'm going to be bankrupt at this rate!

P.H

Über Member
Thanks for the Embers link - want to order everything!!

Yes, I know that feeling!
It'd be interesting to read a review when you've used it, I think it's a company that deserves some exposure.
I'm gradually replacing my mass of cheap kit with a far smaller volume of quality items, I'm convinced in the long run it'll be better value. I find some of it is far too nice to just wear on the bike.

Top Bottom