Women's Pro Cycling (with spoilers)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member

Yeah, that's a depressing read.

I've listened to two podcast interviews later with Kristen Faulkner - a new pro-rider from Alaska via California who, in January, gave up her full-time job as a venture capitalist to focus on her racing. She brings a fresh American perspective which I appreciate. She mentioned how she's appalled at the second-tier nature of women's cycling and what European pro women accept as normal. She says the Europeans talk about how much better it is now (which is great) wheres she can clearly see the inequalities and injustices of it all. I really enjoyed seeing it from her point of view.

Proto

Legendary Member
Not sure how it is today but a couple of years back approx 50% of the UCI pro/elite riders were unpaid, receiving expenses and kit only.

Proto

Legendary Member
Wome
Men or women?

Women.

The women’s pro level status has changed now, a two tier status. there’s top UCI tier - Trek, Canyon etc, -obliged to pay a minimum of a living wage (equal to men’s?). The second tier, I think, there is no obligation to pay the riders, some do, some don’t. Most just don’t have the budget. More TV exposure will improve things very quickly, i hope. And certainly much more women’s racing being broadcast now, but it really needs to get in the mainstream channels.

Last edited:

Proto

Legendary Member
Opportunity for a proud dad. Daughter (in black) in Otley GP a few years back. Got duffed up by the two Ford riders, came in 3rd.

FE571A7F-8721-488B-A2E8-BAE5C26DCBE7.jpeg

Adam4868

Guru
She wears her heart on her sleeve - I love how happy she was. She cried during her interview, which I can't find on video but is on the GCN footage. Just lovely.

View: https://twitter.com/VueltaBurgos/status/1396130463010414595

Great finish by her,she beat some strong competition.

View: https://twitter.com/faustocoppi60/status/1396210055607881732?s=19

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Absolutely fabulous final few miles at La Course and such a tense final kilometre! I love the tactics and tension of women’s cycling! Superb win for Demi Vollering even if I’m gutted for my favourite Uttrup Ludwig who came second! Fabulous race!

Top Bottom