Womens road bike for £500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vik

Hi, I'm new to the site and to road riding. I commute on a mountain bike, used to do a lot of road cycling as a teenager, and recently have done a few 30+ milers which have reignited my desire to do more but were hard work on my current bike, thus I'm thinking of buying a(nother) road bike.
I want an entry level bike and want to spend about £500.
Having spent a few hours researching I've singled out the following:

Specialized Dolce 2009 Women's Road Bike
Trek 1.2 Triple 2009 Women's Road Bike

but I'm no expert and dont really know what I should be looking for.
Like, should i be looking at mens bikes too? Do I need to spend this amount given I'm a relative beginner?

Any advice very welcome.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
They are both good bikes. The standard advice is to try them out and see which you prefer. Our bodies are all different sizes and shapes - but, in any case, adjustments by changing stem length etc. will take care of most problems once you have a decent frame in the right size.

OP
OP
V

Vik

Thanks for this. I've arranged to try them both out this week so I'll hopefully like one of them.

Priscilla Parsley

Hi!, I got my first road bike in september, I didnt know anything but I did try and get out and try loads of bikes, howevewr because i am short and have a 48 frame small shops didnt want to order them in without a commitment because it would be hard forthem to shift if i didnt go for it. to be honest as I was new to racers, the differences in the bikes were wasted on me (i still think its subtle but I'm learning), I went for the Spech Dolce in the end, and I admit this was entirely based on looks, I absolutly love it, I'm glad i went for womens bike as it is so comfy, there are arguments that women specific bikes are a con (they are usually a few quid more than the boys comparitive one) but for me I think it has made a difference for me especially as I am short.

I have found mine high maintenence though, however this is because road bikes can't take the abuse and lack of tlc that my old classic ladies bike could, I recieved a kind hearted telling off from my bike repair shop for the state I let it get into in the first 3 months and an £70 bill - after 3 months! lesson learnt.

let us know how you get on.

Big John

Guru
Invest a bit of time in a weekly clean. It'll pay dividends in the long run and is all part and parcel of this wonderful sport we enjoy. By keeping the bike clean and regularly maintained you'll make your pride and joy last donkeys years.

Top Bottom