Women's Road bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There are several CC cyclists local to you who should be able to recommend a good local bike shop, I will see if I can give them a nudge! I go to Corridori in Epsom Downs corridori.co.uk although their website is doing something a bit weird at the moment. Paul Smith (not there on Tuesdays) for Road Bikes, or Guy for non road bikes. As a newbie the most important thing I did was to be properly measured for my bike.

Happy Cycling!

M :hello:

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Sorry kid. I'm useless here. Only road bike I've ridden in the last 10 years belonged to ILB, and that was for half a wobbly mile.

I can vouch for Bromley Bikes in terms of knowing what they're doing, and Bigfoot Bikes in Hayes as being fairly sensible about things. MistaPreston or Ianrauk are your best bet for roadie stuff.

Andy.

I was in the giant store in Twickenham, and was quite impressed. They had each frame in every size. I was interested in the Avail 2, so could try the Avail 1 in small. Anyway, they have computerised fit equipment (which they were waiting for a new licence so they couldn't unlock it) but the principle is they measure you then you test ride to confirm, then you order the bike based on the measurements and your requirements and pick it up 2 days later. I'm sure if the measurements point to a Defy they'd suggest that (I think I have classic women's proportions 5' 6" and 31.5" inseam - measured myself).

It made the Avail 2 my fallback bike if I can't find anything I like better, as the price is OK, and I know they'll make it work for me.

Edit: I'll need to confirm at some point, but I think the Avail (women's) and the Defy (men's/unisex) have matching model numbers/specs/prices. Still, not as sexy as that cube below

Bluenite

I'm 5ft 7. i bought my bike from Cycle Surgery. After having two other roadies before hand that i hated (really bad sizing) i have finally found one that fits like a glove. I just changed the saddle (i'm a lady, don't you know) i am sooo happy.

peloton-pro-3f.jpg

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/cube-bi...e/bikes-components-bikewear/fcp-product/41565
It's a size 53.

I found bikes aimed at woman to be of a low spec and down right hideous.

RaRa

RaRa

What a shame! Here are a few objects of beauty (in the eyes of this beholder obv):

http://www.orbea.com/gb-en/bicis/familias/carretera

I will admit they are lovely bikes but why oh why do they still insist on producing models with half the colour schemes having pink in them. Maybe it's just me but the minute I spot pink, baby blue or "flowers" on a bike my nose curls up and I pass it by. It could be the best bike in the shop but my instant reaction is "uggh".

carolonabike

I agree about the colours of a lot of WSD. I'm currently looking at this http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cube-Axial-WLS-Womens-2012-Road-Bike_49414.htm

or, my sister has just got one of these http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=2500 which she is very happy with indeed. It's fantastic value. I haven't seen it yet but she's visiting us this weekend and bringing it with her so I'm hoping she'll let me play on it.

Bluenite

Orbea was one of the first bikes i looked at as well as a Giant. The chaps at CS kept on showing me female bikes and i was not interested (there hideous).
Like RaRa says.

"The minute I spot pink, baby blue or "flowers" on a bike my nose curls up and I pass it by. It could be the best bike in the shop but my instant reaction is "uggh"

I can't see why the Cycling industry thinks treating adult women like they are five years old will get them to spend a lot of money, on something that has lower spec than a mans bike but at the same or higher price. What next putting pink tassels on handlebars.

The female geometry framed bikes are a con after all. It just comes down to fit.

Great thanks for all your advice. I'm in Bromley, Kent but my only local places are either Giant or a local retailer and neither had much choice of women's so I'll go back and look at the men's too. I guess it's either that or go into London unless anyone knows any others in the area?

As per Ian - Bromley Bike - Authorised Specilzed dealer and all round good servicing and advice centre. All the staff know thier stuff. You need book any test ride in prior and I would avoid Saturdays. They can order any bike from the Spesh range. I have gone in many times just for advice and its always free with no hard sell. I ride a Specialized Roubaix Pro and test rode a couple of bikes prior to buying. They are not open Sundays.

Giant Bromley - Again I have been in many times even when they were LuvBikes previously. The chap who works their (long haired) is your best bet. He knows his bikes and has given me advice and even loosened a ceased BB for me for free. They have some part time staff who are not so good. I also ride a Giant SCR.

Bigfoot - Although I am a member of the Club the shop is hit an miss. The stock is pretty low.

Going further a field assuming you drive you should try Evans Warehouse at Camino Park in Gatwick is probably your best bet for all round range. They have a good range of mens and womens bikes and as its the Warehouse if you want a bike that they stock on the net you can call them and ask them to build it up in advance but you need to call ahead a good couple of days. You can then book in a test ride. In the main the service at the warehouse is really good. On a good day it takes 45 minutes round the M25 from Bromley.

The Halfords in Bromley in my experience is not great but their range is not too bad.

Give us a shout if you want any local help. Me, Ian and Andy are all local CCers to Bromley :hello:

OP
OP
S

suew

Regular
Really appreciate all the replies and suggestions. I quite like the look of the cube and a couple of the specialized ones so will go and have a proper look in the next few days.

Bluenite

Happy shopping Suew. Go with what makes you happy.:bravo:

Cycle Surgery let me put down a deposit then come back in a month with the rest, as i get paid monthy.

Jdratcliffe

Great thanks for all your advice. I'm in Bromley, Kent but my only local places are either Giant or a local retailer and neither had much choice of women's so I'll go back and look at the men's too. I guess it's either that or go into London unless anyone knows any others in the area?
london bridge on the doorstep to the station is a great Evans which i use for my bits as its on my route home and its also a 20min walk from work ( dangerous on long lunches)

Top Bottom