Women's Tour 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Dates and stages announced now.

~Women's Tour 2018~

Stage 2, Rushden to Daventry, passes with a few miles of my house.
Working that day (14th June) but will book a day off!

:smile:

Reactions: mjr

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Nowhere near me which is shame. I was lucky enough to have a drive in the Vittoria car a few years back for a stage. What a blast.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

I've managed to get to the last few events as they've always passed close by.
Same again this year :thumbsup:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Wed 13th June - Framlingham to Southwold
14th - Rushden to Daventry
15th - Atherstone to Leamington
16th - somewhere north of Worcester, ride east a bit, then back to Worcester
17th - Dolgellau to Colwyn Bay

Still only five days, then :sad: Stage and GC prize money parity with the men's tour, but presumably having three fewer stages means it's still less money in total on offer for the women, despite this being World Tour and the men's being only HC?

Anyone know if they tried again to expand it after BC's rejection for 2017?

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Even if I can’t get the day off, I’ll probably go to Cogenhoe. If I’m off, I’ll try and do Cogenhoe then whizz over to Weedon Bec for a second look then Dav for the finish :smile:

lyn1

Über Member
Still only five days, then :sad: Stage and GC prize money parity with the men's tour, but presumably having three fewer stages means it's still less money in total on offer for the women, despite this being World Tour and the men's being only HC

Difficult one as you also create anomalies if you equalise the total prize pot. For eg. TdY did that last year. Lizzie earned £17500 for her win in the ladies race, effectively the shortest stage of the men's race. The whole DDD team only earned a total of £14880 between them for 1st and 2nd on GC, 1st and 2nd stage 3, 6th stage 1, 6th stage 2 and 1st team. Even if a male won all three stages and GC, pretty much impossible given sprint and climbing stages, he would still be around £3500 short of Lizzie's figure.
The race category has meaning within rather than across genders in that it sets a minimum. Less relevant when prize money significantly exceeds those levels as with TdY & TOB.

Just happy to see more investment in women's sport across the board.

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Well, I've got the day off to watch Day 2. A few mates and I are cobbling a plan together.
Not sure yet if it'll be possible to see the start in Rushden and then have time ride to Dav for the finish!

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom
No live TV coverage as far as I can see

the stupid one

Über Member
I found ITV4’s coverage of the first stage a little heartless in not updating us on the condition of Abi van Twisk after her late crash. The way she was left lying unconscious in the road was horribly reminiscent of Michael Goolaert’s crash at Paris-Roubaix.

Thankfully the Women’s Tour Twitter feed did have an update, and it’s not as bad as it looked - despite losing consciousness she may even start again tomorrow. Superhuman, the lot of them.

EDIT: . . . and there she was, covered in gauze and elastic net, starting Stage 2. Whodathunkit?

Last edited:
OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

A few mates and I saw them at Hartwell, QOM at Weedon Hill and at the finish. Fun day out!!

D50A589A-CBCC-49E9-8D95-4F5F85DB4FF6.jpeg

Hartwell

C90CA033-8802-44A0-BE8A-D92A1C7A906F.jpeg

Weedon Hill

323C936B-7907-4AAD-9E3E-62A78F698E01.jpeg

The finish.

100k ride for me, many more than that for the proper riders!!

GuyBoden

Guru
The final stage in Wales on ITV4 highlights looked tough. Overall I thought that Sunweb rode a good tactical tour, but Marianne Vos is still a very dangerous opponent.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

I’m on the tele.. About 22 minutes in at the Weedon Hill QOM finish line.
Listen for the cowbell (That’s Garry!) I’m standing next to him..

:becool:

pawl

Legendary Member
Binge watched all five stages today Great racing from zero kilometre.Plenty of attack’s non of your poncy hanging till the last few kilometres before starting racing.

Come on Channel 4 lets see more women’s racing.

Top Bottom