Wood Burning Thingy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Hugh Manatee

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
She has had a go! In fact she is in the garage right now trying something. She has seen online people combine pyrography and paint which has made her very excited.
On a shape cut from a piece of scrap, here is her very first go at it:

She wasn't too happy with this but at least has gone back to have another go. I have an old wooden front door that I have cut bits from for various projects; I'll cut a piece off that I reckon.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
About to throw away a wooden tray which had held Lidl red Argentine prawns, something made me want to keep it and have a play.

Meet Doris the Loris

May have to keep it - can't imagine a charity shop would take it!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I wish I'd seen this thread 20 years ago... i started doing a name plaque for a workmate's house using a cheap one. It took about five hours to do five letters before the burner broke. Lost touch with the workmate years ago, still got the unfinished plaque; Dry Th :blush:
I unearthed the unfinished plaque when clearing out my Dad's garage... turned out I'd only done three letters and being left handed, i tend to work backwards...

I also got in touch with my old workmate who finally put herself on FB and I told her I still had the plaque and would finish it... just not sure if I'm willing to spend upwards of £70 on a burner that I'd be unlikely to use again.

Saying that... just looked on Ebay and there's a Peter Childs one up for auction, current bid £48 so buying one, using it then flogging it could be an option.

But then again... whatever i use it'd have to look as black and gnarly as the letters I've done so I might be better off using a red hot 6" nail and mole grips. Those letters are 3" high, so not exactly 'fine' work.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Reminds me. I have a set of letters and numbers, branding irons from an old piggery. I use them red hot sometimes on the furniture I make. This one is the third of this pattern I made, which I’m sitting on now. They were slung out in a skip. Not a full alphabet, but useful occasionally. Could you maybe paint all the letters over a hammered finish to make them look burned in?

60EADB55-DA60-4220-B8CE-24AB97C52E78.jpeg

Top Bottom