Wood Burning Thingy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
No, not a stove. Does anyone do it as art? I am picturing a sort of soldering iron thing but I assume it has a proper name? I want to get my daughter something to experiment with. As it is something that could burn the house down, I don't want just trust my luck on e bay.

Any half decent tools anyone can recommend?

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, its @woodbutcher !

OP
OP
Hugh Manatee

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I found a rusty Sorby 12mm chisel for 50p. I was most impressed when electrolysis revealed the name!
Those websites are quite dangerous! Late last year I set up a rash purchase; a Coronet lathe. More spending beckons!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Pyrography iron I presume?
Just like a soldering iron, but with interchangeable tips
The hobby kits are crap. Good stuff https://www.turners-retreat.co.uk/pyrography/janik/c318
I wish I'd seen this thread 20 years ago... i started doing a name plaque for a workmate's house using a cheap one. It took about five hours to do five letters before the burner broke. Lost touch with the workmate years ago, still got the unfinished plaque; Dry Th :blush:

OP
OP
Hugh Manatee

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Just to note, I found myself in the Turner's Retreat as mentioned by @woodenspoons and purchased the Peter Child kit highlighted by @Alex H

Thanks again everyone. I'll post pics of her attempts.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Just to note, I found myself in the Turner's Retreat as mentioned by @woodenspoons and purchased the Peter Child kit highlighted by @Alex H

Thanks again everyone. I'll post pics of her attempts.
How's she getting on? For cheap blanks to practice on, these spatulas and spoons from Wilkos are hard to beat for value, at 35p and 50p respectively. I don't know much about how to identify timber, but I suspect they may be Beech; some kind of hardwood, anyway.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
No, not a stove. Does anyone do it as art? I am picturing a sort of soldering iron thing but I assume it has a proper name? I want to get my daughter something to experiment with. As it is something that could burn the house down, I don't want just trust my luck on e bay.

Any half decent tools anyone can recommend?
My wife burns stuff on a stove.

Any good?

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
I have 2 Peter Childs pyrography machines and use 24 swg nichrome wire. I do mainly lettering for signs, keyrings and various turned items. I have a heavy duty machine for doing big house signs etc. It is a good idea to wear a mask or have an extractor because it can be quite smokey. There are people who do amazing pictures on various social media groups. In the old days they used to call burning onto wood poker art.
If you want to do have a wide nib for a thick line for signs you can coil the wire around a nail and squeeze it with some pliers. You can buy various nibs. You can get a machine now that you can plug 2 pens into so yoy can alternate between different pen wire thicknesses. I would guess £100 would set you up with machine, wire, nibs etc and would soon get your money back on your first few jobs. For wood blanks you could try a joinery shop or a sawmill often has a corner with odds and ends.
In addition to the burner you might want to get a fret saw, electric planer, band saw, pillar drill and a small lathe. There is lots of old uaed machinary out there that is in perfect working order.

OP
OP
Hugh Manatee

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Thanks everyone. She hasn't done much it has to be said. At the moment, she is trying to get her head around the fact that her A Levels are over and she won't be returning to college or see her friends for who knows how long?

There were signs of her wanting to try new things art wise this morning and I'm sure she'll start experimenting soon!

I am grateful that she has done this very quick painting for me to send to my mum for Sunday!
image.jpeg

Oh, and @Ludwig way ahead of you! Already have kit by Hegner, Coronet, Burgess and Universal! I'll get you some photos once I have bolted the lathe down in its new location!

Top Bottom