Wood lathe turning.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Anyone into it, wanted one for years, finally got round to it, had to drive to Bedford for it, while we where there had a wander round the market and up the river, not a bad drive, not much traffic, any way got the lathe home, cleared a bit of space for it, and started playing the following day, never used a lathe before, been watching a few you tube vidio's. quite pleased with my first few attempts.

first bowl.png

first vase.png

Alex321

Veteran
Yes, I have a lathe. Have posted photos of a few of my efforts in the thread for stitchers crafter and makers Thread.

I've had it for 5 years, although due to a double house move it was out of use for a little over 2 years of that.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Well done. I'd love one but don't have the time or the space yet. I watch Oliver Gomis on YouTube and like most of the things he does, although I think similar stuff can be done on a much lighter budget.

Edited to add: My Dad (born in 1950) did wood turning at school. He made a milking stool which is still in their lounge today.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I did quite a lot of woodturning at school and really enjoyed it. I've still got some sycamore plates I made then. Sycamore is an absolute joy to turn but I don't know how easy it is to get hold of these days.

Alex321

Veteran
Well done. I'd love one but don't have the time or the space yet. I watch Oliver Gomis on YouTube and like most of the things he does, although I think similar stuff can be done on a much lighter budget.

Edited to add: My Dad (born in 1950) did wood turning at school. He made a milking stool which is still in their lounge today.

I watch quite a few woodturning channels on Youtiube, that is where I have done all my learnig (and experience of course).

Mike Waldt was probably the first I watched, I like Axminster (while run by the tools company, their woodturning vidoes are no sales pitches, they are geniune tutorial type videos), then I also watch a variety of others at different times - Richard Raffan, Mike Pearce (US), Carl Jacobson (also US), SK Crafts, Pete Twisted Trees, Tomislav Tomasic (Czech but good English) and a few others.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Very good, 1st efforts. My uncle got very into it in his retirement, I think its quite addictive. You ideally need a mate who keep Hamsters or Gerbils as you generate a hell of a lot sawdust.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Anyone into it, wanted one for years, finally got round to it, had to drive to Bedford for it, while we where there had a wander round the market and up the river, not a bad drive, not much traffic, any way got the lathe home, cleared a bit of space for it, and started playing the following day, never used a lathe before, been watching a few you tube vidio's. quite pleased with my first few attempts.

View attachment 724336

View attachment 724337

My dad did a bit. I have a bowl and a couple of egg cups he made.

Could be wrong, but I think he said the bowl was spalted Beech?

IMG_1099.jpeg

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
All of these look great. It is a shame that we have very poor access to wood in this country. If you look at foreign YouTube vids, they seem to get their hands on walnut, beech etc so they either must be plentiful or fairly cheap. It is also a shame when you see oak trees felled and being sold for firewood

Alex321

Veteran
All of these look great. It is a shame that we have very poor access to wood in this country. If you look at foreign YouTube vids, they seem to get their hands on walnut, beech etc so they either must be plentiful or fairly cheap. It is also a shame when you see oak trees felled and being sold for firewood

Beech is fairly easy to get hold of here, and I have had some walnut too. It is other foreign woods that are harder to get.

Top Bottom