Woodburner in a house with no chimney?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

speccy1

Does anybody know if this is possible?

The smell of wood smoke around here is making me green with envy and I`m craving some real fire.

My house is late 70s`s build and just has a hollow flue going up through the cavity wall for the gas fire. I`ve been told that a stove can be fitted with a new pipe run up through the house, but I`m not sold on the idea that it`s possible. Anybody else done it?

Thanks

screenman

Legendary Member
Would it be mounted onto an outside wall? if so I think a powered flu can work, or so I am told as we are looking into it at the moment. I never thought I would want a chimney when I built this house, I lived and learned.

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

Would it be mounted onto an outside wall? if so I think a powered flu can work, or so I am told as we are looking into it at the moment. I never thought I would want a chimney when I built this house, I lived and learned.
Unfortunately no, it`s a semi and the fire would be on the joining wall...........sods law

Wafer

Veteran
Seen it in several places and when we had a woodburner put into an old fireplace we reopened last year they put a liner up it anyway.
Google imge search

Don't know whether you can use the existing flue at all but obviously need to have an exit somewhere, so might not be great on joining wall in semi but might be able to have a flue go sideways. Then depends on whether you're happy with that...

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

Seen it in several places and when we had a woodburner put into an old fireplace we reopened last year they put a liner up it anyway.
Google imge search

Don't know whether you can use the existing flue at all but obviously need to have an exit somewhere, so might not be great on joining wall in semi but might be able to have a flue go sideways. Then depends on whether you're happy with that...
Looking at that link it does look possible, looks quite smart with the pipe going straight up, maybe it is do-able:smile:

Just run a pipe up through the roof and hang one of these 70's fire pits...

Gyrofocus_05.jpg

Wafer

Veteran
Well, should be possible for the flue to go straight up and even out the roof if necessary. I'd expect costs to go up though....
If there's already a flue for a gas fire, it may be possible to either use that or do something similar I guess, don't really know!
I was thinking that if you were putting it on an external wall it would be relatively easy to stick a flue going straight out that wall, move the fire away form the external walls and I would expect it to still be possible, just at extra costs.

Having more of the flue in the house means the flue helps distribute the heat as well though, so if you're happy with the aesthetics, it has other benefits :smile:

For what it's worth, I think they are great though. We got one fitted for the feeling/atmosphere it provides as much as the heat.

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

Just run a pipe up through the roof and hang one of these 70's fire pits...

Gyrofocus_05.jpg
That`s different!

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

Well, should be possible for the flue to go straight up and even out the roof if necessary. I'd expect costs to go up though....
If there's already a flue for a gas fire, it may be possible to either use that or do something similar I guess, don't really know!
I was thinking that if you were putting it on an external wall it would be relatively easy to stick a flue going straight out that wall, move the fire away form the external walls and I would expect it to still be possible, just at extra costs.

Having more of the flue in the house means the flue helps distribute the heat as well though, so if you're happy with the aesthetics, it has other benefits :smile:

For what it's worth, I think they are great though. We got one fitted for the feeling/atmosphere it provides as much as the heat.
I think it would have to go up through the roof and become expensive, I`m prepared to pay it if it`s do-able. Right now I have one of these. It`s heat output is amazing, but not that easy on the eye.............

Attachments

• 7978754.jpg
    7978754.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 149

snorri

Legendary Member
It is certainly possible, the no chimney system was commonplace in the old days but it was not without good reason that the homes were known as Blackhouses. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackhouse
If the fire dimmed a bit you could always get a bit of warmth from the animals by opening the door to the byre adjoining the sitting room.
Oh the memories, it was a sad day I left the croft:sad:.

gavintc

Guru
There are lots of options with wood burners. We fitted a flue externally. It goes up about 7 feet in the living room and then goes out the wall. It has a long silver double skinned pipe on the outside of the house. Get a wood burner installer to come, have a look and quote.

Top Bottom