Wooden Sheds and the Sun

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Octet

Veteran
Despite the British weather, the sun does actually shine.

I've recently cleaned out the shed, recycled a couple of bicycles and built some shelves for storage which I've placed tins of paint on, and barbecue stuff. Since doing this, I've noticed how warm the shed actually gets, with no circulating air it slowly heats up.

Has anyone ever had any issues regarding the heat of your shed, on not only bicycles but also on paint and flammable materials? Paint is the only liquid stored in the shed, but there are some solid fuel blocks and I'm just wondering whether I should move them out, I don't know the ignition points of such things but would it be wise to place them somewhere else?

What about the bicycles, or am I over thinking all this?

Thank you!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
No
kept paints/thinners in concealed containers for years in a souh facing shed with no problems.

snorri

Legendary Member
Relax man, the heat is getting to your head.^_^
If the shed is already getting hot the insulation must be poor and it will also be getting very cold in winter, better get that paint out of the shed, paint does not like frost.
It is most unlikely that any of the contents will spontaneously ignite, it just won't get hot enough in a UK summer.
It sounds as if you need some form of ventilation to assist air movement and keep things fresh within the shed.Take care not to have air gaps which provide an entry point for rodents.

OP
OP
Octet

Octet

Veteran
Hmm, never thought about the cold.

Anyway, shall look into adding ventilation, possible one of those wind powered ventilation things that you see on top of vans?

Thanks for the replies! :tongue:
I can sleep easy.

One of my friends lives in his shed every Friday evening!

He loves fish, and his wife pathologically hates it

Their compromise is that every Friday he takes the portable TV into the shed, cooks himself a fish meal, sits and eats, relaxes for an hour watching TV and a couple of beers, then washes returns home

His shed is heated!

Dave 123

Legendary Member
One of my friends lives in his shed every Friday evening!

He loves fish, and his wife pathologically hates it

Their compromise is that every Friday he takes the portable TV into the shed, cooks himself a fish meal, sits and eats, relaxes for an hour watching TV and a couple of beers, then washes returns home

His shed is heated!

I think he has the fin end of the wedge.....

Booyaa

Veteran
The poor sole. At least it is heated.

Top Bottom