woods valves....!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

c2c

redredrobin
hi chaps and chapesses, we bought my wife a new ktm ladies bike which is fitted with woods valves. the bike came supplied with a pump but this is not man enough to get any real pressure in the tyre. i cannot seem to get purchase on the valve with my track pump either. sooooo my question is does anyone have any solutions to this problem, other than changing the inner tubes.

cheers in advance.......:ohmy:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
A new bike with a woods valve ? You sure it is not a presta Got any pictures

OP
OP
C

c2c

redredrobin
4F said:
A new bike with a woods valve ? You sure it is not a presta Got any pictures

hi yeah i know they are old technology but i think thats what they are. ill put up a photo tom morn. (thurs)

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
You could get easy-pump inserts for woods valves, but TBH I've not seen them for ages.
I bet Schrader valves would fit - iirc Woods valves have a larger hole in the rim than Presta.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Isn't the connector thread of the Woods the same as Presta? I seem to remember that a flexible Presta connector fits both and that the only adapter available was Presta/Woods to Schrader.

OP
OP
C

c2c

redredrobin
c2c said:
hi chaps and chapesses, we bought my wife a new ktm ladies bike which is fitted with woods valves. the bike came supplied with a pump but this is not man enough to get any real pressure in the tyre. i cannot seem to get purchase on the valve with my track pump either. sooooo my question is does anyone have any solutions to this problem, other than changing the inner tubes.

cheers in advance.......:biggrin:
here is a photo of the valve

02GF74

Über Member
never seen one of those.

get rid of it and buy new tubes. if you get puncture and have no pump, you are more likely to come across a cyclist with a presta or shrader(car) valve pump.

... and seeing as you cannot pump them up with your pump is another reason not to spend money & time messing round.

OP
OP
C

c2c

redredrobin
02GF74 said:
never seen one of those.

get rid of it and buy new tubes. if you get puncture and have no pump, you are more likely to come across a cyclist with a presta or shrader(car) valve pump.

... and seeing as you cannot pump them up with your pump is another reason not to spend money & time messing round.

this is true, and particularly pertinent as the bike in question belongs to mrs c2c, as her mechanic i would be in the doo doo should ever a situation arise where she is stranded due to my lack of foresight. but those shwalbe tyres look a bugger to get off, and the rear wheel has a nexus hub which further complicates matters, so i guess im being a tad lazy. i still would like to find an adaptor that allows me to use my track pump to get some decent air into em though. :biggrin:

OP
OP
C

c2c

redredrobin
Hilldodger said:

thats the beauty i was after, thank you HD, now i can rest easy that mrs c2c neednt struggle due to under inflated tyres, nor need she be stranded because none of the cycling community has a pump to help her should she flat out on the road, and finally nor need i be in the doo doo. why this type of tube was fitted to a brand new ktm i do not know.

awfulquiet

A Presta pump end will fit over it, no problem...

Just replaced a few at the LBS (KTM dealer) and used the same head on the pump that the Presta uses.. easy...

If it's such a problem, then replace the inner tubes (will cost about £10 and 5 minutes, plus some pumping....)
cool.gif

Removing the wheel doesn't seem "that" complicated (just not as easy as a cassette / derailleur equipped bike):

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGEXjpXtw4g

Top Bottom