WooHoo!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Or is it just the case that hispsters have been stuck indoors for a year with nothing better to do, whilst normal people have shifted to streaming music?

Chromatic

Legendary Member
As the late, great Vernon once said "Ownership of mp3 tracks and CDs is a joyless experience".

Vinyl offers much more sensory pleasure than sound of the music. The covers were an art form in themselves. The pops and scratches accrued through drunken placements of the stylus or manufacturing defects were assimilated by the soundtrack and became anticipated features with every play. Concept albums with their booklets, pop up features and scratch and sniff covers are sorely missed by me.

Ownership of mp3 tracks and CDs is a joyless experience. There is no physical and very little other engagement with the product of musicians and bands.

So, my response to the original question is £12 - £20 for an album is good value. It's roughly the same price range across all retail sources. I still buy vinyl its always been available. It's nearly always on offers from the merchandise stands at many gigs. Buying it now is no more out of the ordinary than buying it in its heyday.

Tesco is an irrelevance thrown into the mix in an attempt to be provocative as is Yellow Tim's modus operandi.

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
A few years ago my then 24 year old daughter said to me, 'Dad, I want to play records have you got anything?'
I had a deck and speakers in the loft, my brother gave her an amp.
She's building a little collection of new and old vinyl.
I finally got round to building this at home during lockdown.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Mini ck loves vinyl but his taste in music

Madonna
Kylie
Cardi b
Lady Gaga

bitsandbobs

Über Member
Lou Ottens, inventor of the tape cassette and co-developer of CD, who died a couple of weeks ago was very sniffy about vinyl (and tape which is also making a bit of come back).

“Nothing can match the sound of the CD. It is absolutely noise and rumble-free. That never worked with tape... I have made a lot of record players and I know that the distortion with vinyl is much higher. I think people mainly hear what they want to hear.”

Drago

Legendary Member
Lets not beat about the bush - vinyl not touch CD's for sheer accuract of reproduction. A cheap oscilloscope quickly shows the truth of that. It's inarguable, so ignore misty eyed guff about it sounding "better".

But that is to miss the point. Listening to vinyl is far from unpleasant, and its an experience to be savoured and enjoyed. If I want a bit of background music while Im pottering about then it's either CD's or Alexa streams to my hifi. However, if I'm actually sitting down and listening with a cup of coffee, actively listening and paying attention to the music without distraction, then it's vinyl every time.

(Awaiting arrival of "new" CD deck)

Last edited:
I suspect some of the appeal of vinyl is reconnecting with personal memories from the time when it was the dominant form.
For sure. Meanwhile, I'm from the "home-taping" generation - who went onto buy cars with only radio-cassette players. Due to sheer economics I always had a few more albums on tape than on vinyl , and listened to more hours of magnetic tape.
(I only ever owned a "basic" Hi-Fi; I can imagine that had i been drawn into the world of high-end expenditure, the tapes might have lost some ground. Being a penniless student oaf probably sealed off that avenue before it mattered.)

So for pure nostalgia the C90 is my love for life!

(I did love the vinyl+sleeves as physical things.)

Venod

Eh up
I like vinyl because of the LP sleeves and the artwork and thought that has gone into it, but I don't like the the associated hardware and care needed to play and look after the vinyl, the CD is a lot more user friendly and streaming knocks them both into touch for convenience, I have all my music on a NAS drive, which along with spotify is my go to for listening, my ears aren't good enough to tell the difference, but there are no scratches to listen to, I still have a CD and tape deck (rarely used) the turntable went a long time ago together with the LP's.

Top Bottom