WooHoo!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bitsandbobs

Über Member
I like vinyl: it sort of forces you to listen since there's more work involved!

I mostly listen to jazz (nice! before you say it) and that's a nightmare as a lot of really great stuff is issued only sporadically on vinyl (if at all). That leaves you on the one hand with reissues made by companies exploiting the favourable copyright regime in europe. The problem is they don't have access to master tapes, so remaster from a CD (but press it on 180g vinyl, put it in a fancy sleeve and market it as some kind of audiophile experience). The alternative is the second hand market where prices can be bonkers.

On the other hand, this does seem to have forced the hands of companies owning the masters to reissue their catalogues. Blue Note, for example, has really got its act together with the Tone Poet series. Pricey at 40 eur a pop, but all remastered by Kevin Gray and pressed at RTI with tip-on sleeves. The new classic series is looking good too, with Blue Note dipping into its class A catalogue. I've bought Lee Morgan's "Sidewinder" and Wayne Shorter's "Speak no Evil" so far and they both sound great. Cannonball Adderley's "Somethin' Else" and Art Blakey's "Moanin" are next in the cross hairs.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Years ago a got a six CD boot mounted player. I’d recorded my LPs onto the computer via the sound blaster card, and burnt to CD. If I’d been out the room when copying, the bit at the end of side where the needle skuttles across the LP and then the lapping sound occurs would get recorded.

Driving to North Wales with a mate. One such CD gets to the lapping noise. I pull over into a layby, and ask him to change the record over in the boot. Oh how he laughed when he realised he’d been done.

Drago

Legendary Member
I've bought Lee Morgan's "Sidewinder" and Wayne Shorter's "Speak no Evil" so far and they both sound great. Cannonball Adderley's "Somethin' Else" and Art Blakey's "Moanin" are next in the cross hairs.

Top Bottom