wooot back on the bike...ish

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
2009 has been riddled by knee injuries for me, and I was mis-diagnosed illiotibial band syndrome, so that delayed things. 7 whole months it has been :sad: ..... anyway, recently got a turbo trainer to creep into cycling again slowly. I saw a knee sugeon, then saw a leading physio (deals with premiership football teams and international cyclists - though he wouldn't tell me who ;) ). Physio was great, brilliant infact, and said the problem is likely to be tight hamstrings, party due to genetics and party due to lack of proper stretching them. The hamstrings get far too tight and pull the knee inwards, aggrevating the cartilage as the knee cap is mis-aligned.

Anyway, I do a quick set of mobile stretches, followed by some targetting the hamstrings, then hop onto the turbo until I feel twinges of pain, then hop off an stretch - got up to an hour gentle riding yesterday ;)

Looks like 2010 racing season may still be on :biggrin:

Stephenite

Membå
Very happy for you. ;) I can understand how you feel. I've been three months off the bike due to sciatica. Past couple of weeks i've been making short trips and gradually building up. I guess your fitness level has dropped a bit? Good luck ;)

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
Stephenite said:
Very happy for you. :smile: I can understand how you feel. I've been three months off the bike due to sciatica. Past couple of weeks i've been making short trips and gradually building up. I guess your fitness level has dropped a bit? Good luck :smile:

Horrible being off isn't it?
Not really tested fitness yet, as the knees are still my limiting factor, but I am guessing it will have dropped a fair bit yer.... a bit heavier as well as I've been going to the gym as a semi-replacement for cycling....so will be slower on the hills :biggrin:

Chrisc

Guru
Hope that's the end of your problem. I suffered a knee injury two weekends ago. A week off with ice and anti inflammatories has helped me get back out but very gingerly. Daren't go above my lowest gear on a hill yet. So far so good. Only been back cycling for a few months but am already able to get into a panic at the thought of not being able to go out.

ASC1951

Guru
The only time I have had structural advice from a consultant, he took £750 from me and was wrong. My physio then took £25 and was right.

Stephenite, my sciatica - mild, but it appeared three months ago for the first time and worried the bejaysus out of me - has been cured by some simple spinal twists prescribed by my physio Magic Linda. Yours may have a different cause, of course.

Stephenite

Membå
I thought i had decided not to see a physio.

'What can they do for me? A load of poking and prodding, stretching and bloody pelvic floor exercises, and for what? Nowt! New age claptrap! Bloody waste of money!'

- went my reasoned argument.

But there are three strong recommendations above which will, very likely, lead me to putting my hand in my pocket. Thanks, guys.

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
I would recommend one, but try and see one who has been recommended to you. Cost me £40 for 30 mins with the guy, expensive, but my knees are sooo much better!...and this guy is one of the top in the country luckily.

Top Bottom